Recent content by What_Is_Computer

1. W

Can't get Truenas to boot off USB on UEFI BIOS

I'm using a USB 2.0 flash drive. Tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. The PCs won't boot the drive if in UEFI mode. I know the drive works because if I disable UEFI on the lenovo it will boot just fine.
  2. W

Do A12 rails fit on the dell r320

Based on Dell documentation it looks like they won't fit. Granted I just skimmed through it real quick. Looks like they recommend A7 A8 or A10 rails for the R320. It shows the A12 rails as being compatible with the R340 and R350 models. If I were to guess my bet is the pin size or spacing...
  3. W

Can't get Truenas to boot off USB on UEFI BIOS

I'm stumped on what I am doing wrong. I wanted to try Truenas on a newer machine. It is an HP Elitedesk 800 G3. I can't get it to boot off my USB drive, and I can't get the BIOS to stay in legacy mode. I've tried using Rufus and Balena Etcher to make a 12.0-U8 USB drive. Tried the drive in...
  4. W

Dell Poweredge R730 & Rack 7910 Riser GPU power pinout question

I do know from experience that the server will try to protect itself if you short 12V to ground on the riser. When I first got my Tesla K80 I didn't realize it was EPS 12V, and the low quality aftermarket cable wasn't keyed correctly to stop me. That is when I learned about the notch on PCIe...
  5. W

Some minor concerns with those cables. Neither one of them have the jumper wire going from sense pin A to sense pin B. I am not sure how much that matters with the 13th gen and newer servers. I haven't tried one of my cables on a R730 yet. It shouldn't be a problem for 12th gen from my...
  6. W

The biggest problem I found was the aftermarket ones aren't keyed correctly for PCI express power. Tried plugging one into my Tesla K80, and basically shorted 12V to ground since it requires EPS 12V. The notch between pins 7 and 8 was missing to stop me from doing that. I will probably have...
  7. W

Interesting. Until recently most of the GPU power cables available were aftermarket ones. The aftermarket ones aren't wired like the genuine Dell cables. On the 12th gen Dells the GPU power connectors don't have the -3.3V pin. The cables that I have been making that are wired straight...
  8. W

Been getting ready to mess around with a Poweredge R730 and Rack 7910 today. I was verifying the pinouts on the riser and found something odd. Sense pin B appears to be putting out -3.3V. The official Dell power cable has a jumper wire going between sense pin A to sense pin B. This wiring...
  9. W

Looking for advice on running unsupported Truenas configs

Yeah theartofserver has some good stuff. I ended up virtualizing my main NAS and my main backup. Decided flashing controllers wasn't for me. So far everything has been working good. I just have to remember to keep track of my server alerts. Eventually I will get on it :p Luckily I am...
  10. W

Toying around with the Lenovo M600 tiny as a NAS

So figured out the issue. The generic SSD in my laptop was the bottleneck :rolleyes: Used a faster laptop with NVME and it didn't randomly dip in speed. I was able to put everything back to stock settings. My next idea is to try putting a 3.5" drive in it. That will require me to remove the...
  11. W

Thanks for the tip I will give it a shot. You are more of an expert than me. ;) I found a compatible M.2 drive from a thinclient I am going to try as a proper boot drive. I may borrow a 1TB 870 EVO to try instead of the S3500. I wish I was doing more than tinkering for the fun of it. I...
  12. W

Wow that NASbook is kinda sick. Only thing it is missing is a way to power off a pair of internal swappable batteries.
  13. W

I was kinda bored and wanted to build an abnormal config for a Truenas box. I didn't have the right parts on hand so I just slapped something together with what I had. Currently it has a Pentium N3700, 8GB DDR3, 480GB Intel SSD, and a flash drive for the boot drive. I wanted to throw in an...
  14. W

The used space in my pool is shrinking, but I don't know why.

Ok it is probably SMB reporting the snapshots then. I appreciate your help and knowledge. Eventually I will get the hang of this.
  15. W

The used space in my pool is shrinking, but I don't know why.

I think I have the default periodic snapshot tasks going. Would windows be able to tell if snapshots are part of the used space?