Recent content by Waldek

1. W

Micro server Gen 8 Dual Fan New Cooling System

Exactly, instead of the two small ones, I would rather put a good quality (IMHO Noctua are great) bigger fan (rather static pressure oriented than airflow) pushing the air downward. I think it would even make great effect to have a larger-than-the-heatsink fan in order to cool the memory...
  2. W

Intel Optane 900p SSD Released in AIC and U.2 Form Factors

Just wanted to share my buying experience - for people leaving in Europe who want to buy the Intel 900p drive for a normal-ish price - I have recently bought the 480GB version at overclockers.co.uk. It cost me 600 GBP (VAT included) plus 21 GBP shipping via DHL to Poland. Ordered on Tuesday 7th...
  3. W

Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F and M.2 drive - is this normal ?

Ah, of course, stupid me - you are right @Netwerkz101 - the BMC chipset is just beneath the M.2 drive, so the drive (and in my case its heatsink) simply becomes the chipset's heatspreader ;-) I have thought the BMC is under that 2nd heatsink, next to the NICs. In that case, maybe it makes sense...
  4. W

Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F and M.2 drive - is this normal ?

Hi Guys, I am confused.... Recently I have installed M.2 NVMe drive (Samsung 960 EVO) into the built-in M.2 slot of the Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F motherboards in my homelab. This is a homelab for experimentation and educational purposes, so the servers are being shutdown from time to time. I...
  5. W

Intel Optane 900p SSD Released in AIC and U.2 Form Factors

Allyn at PC Perspective has (Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB and 280GB NVMe HHHL SSD Review - Lots of 3D XPoint! | PC Perspective). This is 3D XPoint not NAND, so the rule "the bigger, the faster" does not apply here. In the tests, there seem to be tiny differences between the models, but I guess...
  6. W

Can we expect Memory prices to go down anytime soon?

The only good news in the drama is that prices of a single 64GB DIMM look "reasonable" (I mean compared to the 32GB ones) ;-) The single module of 64GB used to cost 4 times more than the 32, now it is the same (i.e. roughly twice the 32GB price). Now the 128GB modules cost 4 times the price of...
  7. W

Edimax XGS-5008 - 8 port 10Gbp RJ45 switch ?

Hi, Does anybody have any experience with the Edimax XGS-5008 switch ? After having very bad experience with 10gbit stability in the famous Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG, I would be very interested to know about any problems with 10gbit esp. with the Intel X552 / X557-AT cards found in the...
  8. W

PCIe to M.2 Adapters Ableconn PEXM2-110 v Startech Low Profile

61.90 USD for the Amfeltec x4 board sounds like a steal when you compare it to its EU price of just 148.92 British Pounds :( Squid PCIe x4 Carrier Board for one x M.2 SSD Module (Gen 3)
  9. W

Moving to 10gbe

Not questioning the usefulness of optics... I am in EU, so multiply your prices by 2-3, e.g. the single OEM E10GSFPSR costs 30-50 EUR (unless buying from Chinese sellers on ebay, which might be well.. risky and the delivery time is 3-5 weeks often). The point is, I would not have bought the...
  10. W

Moving to 10gbe

Please... You know I meant transceivers too, not just the cables... The problem with the ES-16-XG is you have to very carefully select what transceivers to buy. Like with the DACs, some work, some do not. The same DAC and/or transceiver can work with a NIC or not. Well, when I say do not work...
  11. W

Moving to 10gbe

No, you are mixing two different products. I am talking about a released product es-16-xg, being on the market at least since August 2016. Bought mine in mid-September. My first complaint to their support was end of September. I might have an alpha version of the firmware supposedly improving...
  12. W

Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F no longer produced ?

Great, fantastic news. I am about to expand my homelab, so was really worried. As many have mentioned before, IMHO, this is the best homelab motherboard, much more economical over longer term than the NUCs. Off for shopping :-) Thanks a zillion Patrick !
  13. W

Moving to 10gbe

I would really not recommend the Ubiquiti es-16-xg. Looks great on paper, with specs and price. You can make it whisper quiet by replacing the fans with Noctuas (I actually mounted 3 Noctuas 40mm and reduced their speed). But... I do have the switch at my homelab, but has turned out to be my...
  14. W

Yes. I have also bought a few of the Supermicro boards there. Availability is one thing (I am in EU and the usual delivery time for the Supermicro boards was 3-4 weeks, not just of X10SDVs, but also X10SRWs, X10DDWs, etc.). What surprised me was the response from the distributor: not produced...
  15. W

Hi Guys, Yesterday I wanted to buy the Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F motherboard from one of the larger European distributors. Apparently, I could not and the information I have received was: "We do not have this product anymore since it is not being produced any more." I am speculating...