Recent content by Wader

1. W

WD Red 10TB poor quality

Hi, Not a complicated heatsink, and no formal thermal analysis done beforehand. Simple off-the-shelf aluminum extrusion: 1" wide to fit on the sides of the drive; 6" long which is slightly longer than the drive, but the longer end is at the power/sata connector end so no interference; the...
  2. W

WD Red 10TB poor quality

In the heat of midday several of the drives were over 55C, that is why I decided to add the heatsinks along with better airflow configuration to get the air over the hdd heatsink and not through other openings.
  3. W

WD Red 10TB poor quality

didn't mean to post that yet... All is backed up to a 12T USB drive that is kept at another location. I'll take andrewbedia's advice on the next build and look into used SAS. Thanks i386, I thought "bad sectors" could be flaky cabling.
  4. W

WD Red 10TB poor quality

Hi. My video editing program is Windows only so I dual boot. Tested drive in Windows first using WD's application. After success there I boot into Ununtu for additional testing. Re heatsinks - I had 8 drives (Tosh 4TB) stacked in my case with about 1/4 gap between them. During the summer...
  5. W

WD Red 10TB poor quality

Purchased four new WD Red 10TB from B&H. Ran WD DLGDIAG on them and two turned up bad with "too many bad sectors". Swapped sata cables, swapped power cables, depopulated others drives... and they stayed "too many bad sectors". Still in the return period with B&H, so exchanged them. Two new...
  6. W

Aquantia 4/5/8 port 10Gb switch, when?

Not exactly what you are looking for, but ASUS XG-U2008 Unmanaged 2-Port 10G and 8-Port Gigabit Switch $129.99 at Amazon
  7. W

SSD Caching for NVR

Thank you bateau, I'll look into HSM and openarchive. I'm using Xeoma for NVR. I should read up on BlueIris too though.
  8. W

SSD Caching for NVR

Thanks for understanding what I meant, and not exactly what I said :) Evan, dandanio: I don't think that will work as I left out a detail of viewers need to be able to see and search through the full 30 days of footage.The NVR software is managing the archive to maintain 30 days recording for...
  9. W

SSD Caching for NVR

Currently using zfs as storage for a dedicated Network Video Recorder system. This means I have a lot of drives spinning 24/7. My thought -- mirror 2x 1TB SSDs as the l2arc. Can it be configured to somehow spin down the array most of the day, recording to SSD, and then dump everything to the...
  10. W

IP Camera Recommendations

I tried ZM and, if I recall correctly, I had trouble getting it to find the streams from the cameras. I tried several of the other applications too, using both Windows and Ubuntu as the host and Windows, Ubuntu and Android viewing applications. Sorry I don't recall details, but overall with...
  11. W

IP Camera Recommendations

Adding in my experience... I found good pricing on multiple cameras by buying a Costco package. I got 8 3MB cameras and an NVR. Used the NVR for a couple weeks and found it next to useless. My DIY NVR is a repurposed i5-2500k system, Ubuntu, zfs on 16 disks. I tried several NVR applications...
  12. W

Containerized Zcash ZEC Mining with nvidia-docker

Hi Patrick, On two computers I start docker gpu mining with "nvidia-docker run -itd -e username=USERNAME servethehome/zec_flypool_ewbf:cuda" and when I go to zcash.flypool I see two workers identified by their two container names. I also have three cpu instances running, one each on the gpu...
  13. W

Thank you Patrick. Love this site -- you do great job and there are a lot of smart, friendly people that add great value in the forums.
  14. W

Running with 2x GP100's. How do you get the display in post #112?