Recent content by vvu

1. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

I clicked and it's now $40. Must resist...
  2. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

It's been a few years mine is still working fine. I installed the PCI power recently during rebuild of my server with a new motherboard. I had no issues without it but I figured I'd add a fan and external power "while I was in there". Giving this a bump since cards are as low as $50 on eBay...
  3. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Just an update on mine. Three zfs scrubs later everything works fine. My buddy got his new cables from 10gtek and he's good as well. We are both running with PCI and not auxiliary power (but we both have same motherboard). If you guys have any issues check your cables! I'm in no way...
  4. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

SATA adopted the scsi commands and apple switched to IDE. There became no reason to use a separate controller for personal computers this left the successor to sas (serial attached scsi) the successor to scsi to the server market. LSI bought the controller business from American megatrends...
  5. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

My array has survived 3 motherboards and a few controllers in the 11 years. The direct disk access is mostly for portability. It very nerve wrecking but i can vouch for zfs import.
  6. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Ive had bad luck with sas cables.. Pick your vendor carefully. I bought SAS-HD to sata break out cables for my case and they worked fine. My buddy needed SAS-HD to 8087 and well hes ordering another set.
  7. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

As a side note the Vendor in question appears to be good size refurbisher. Google maps shows them having a rather large warehosue and packaging came with their invoice and logo. https://www.cloudstoragecorp.com/
  8. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Just an update... I plugged it into my supermicro c2550 8x slot. It seems it is delivering enough power not to require the external power. Your mileage may vary since the card will draw the 25 watts max that is allowed for 8x slot. If you have a 16x slot it should provide up to 75 and you...
  9. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Damn... i already bought it... at least ill be able to get rid of the sas expander + controller in favor of a single card.[ QUOTE="JDMWAAAT, post: 344955, member: 8628"] That list really only has to do with what I said above - booting off of those drives. If you're not booting off of them, then...
  10. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

I was warned by bitdeals when looking at some larger drives. https://bitdeals.tech/blogs/news/4kn-lsi-compatibility-list
  11. V

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

My friend and I each got a card for $120 best offer. I am waiting for cables but the card looks fine to me. Its an older HBA with 2 chips + pcie switch built in so it draws 27 watts instead of the newer ones at 13. This card should do 4k sectors. https://www.ebay.com/itm/384974502033...
  12. V

The Intel Atom C2000 Series Bug – Why it is so quiet

Just an update on this. I swapped the board today. Unless the board revs are different I can confirm the bodge wires did not exist on my old board.
  13. V

The Intel Atom C2000 Series Bug – Why it is so quiet

Proactively RMA'd a board through supermicro. I haven't had a chance to install it yet but I think I found Intel's platform fix. Its very minor, two bodge wires. Sorry for bad photo, I just don't have patience to setup a rig to photograph PCB's.
  14. V

Flashing Dell H310 for Windows Server 2016

I can answer that question. When you flash the firmware on a card you don't overwrite the PCI ID (sorta like the first bits of a mac address). See output from lspci -v on my card below. The PCI ID is burned in by the manufacture. I'm also including a link to a pci database that pertains to...
  15. V

HP SAS Expander Wiki

Matt, I'm afraid I can't really help much. I only had the one card to flash and I didn't have any issues. The only thing I see that is different between your experience and mine is I started with FW 2.06 and used ubuntu 14. You might want to try ubuntu 14, if we can get enough people...