Recent content by vinceflynow

1. V

napp-it Buyer's Guides

Is it still required, to create a VMFS disk from an Optane 900P or 4800X for SLOG in a napp-it all-in-one setup with Virtualized OmniOS or Openindiana? Or can we direct pass through the Optane now?
  2. V

Optane 900P and Openindiana 2017.10 no luck

My failed test, was with pass-through PCI to Openindiana 2017.11.
  3. V

Optane 900P and Openindiana 2017.10 no luck

I tried using the Intel Optane 900P 280GB AIC with Openindiana 2017.10 and the latest nvme driver, but could not get the card detected. I also have an Intel P3700 AIC that works in the same setup. Has anyone had luck the with the Optane 900P with either Openindiana or OmniOS?
  4. V

Findings and exploration of Intel Optane 900p Under ESXI

Yes, something is not quite right, with the CrystalDisk 4K Q32T1 results for the 900P on bare metal. I've seen Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe with Samsung NVMe driver, hit around 360 MB/s on the 4K Q32T1 test. Is Win 10 and CrystalDisk installed on separate boot drive?
  5. V

Extracting some info from your tests .. Random read/write (75%/25%) at 4KB and 64 iodepth: read : bw=157087KB/s (157MB/s), iops=39271 write: bw=52335KB/s (52MB/s), iops=13083 This random read/write test is a rough approximation of a database workload. This results shows 39,271 read...
  6. V

Measuring random read/write IOPS fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75 This will create a 4 GB file, and perform 4KB reads and writes using a 75%/25% split within the file...
  7. V

New dual E5-2690 build, motherboard questions

For ZFS, you'll want to stay with your HBA (or upgrade to a 12G/SAS3 HBA), instead of looking at a hardware raid card.
  8. V

pfSense Firewall and Manual DNS Entry Question

Looks like you want to do split DNS, or NAT reflection. See Why can't I access forwarded ports on my WAN IP from my LAN/OPTx networks - PFSenseDocs
  9. V

Starting a server via IPMI?

Using ipmitool from another machine, % ipmitool —H 1.2.3.4 —v —I lanplus —U username —P userpassword chassis power on
  10. V

Fan RPM threshold in vsphere 6.5?

I also noticed that my SM IPMI Web UI (X10DRG-Q motherboard), does not show the Lower Non-Critical ( LNC) fan values. So, got curious, and looked at what the default value for lnc was for my motherboard. ipmitool -I lan -U ADMIN -H 192.168.1.2 sensor get FAN1 Password: Locating sensor...
  11. V

Strange the ipmitool is not recognizing your SM Board. (Perhaps, the BMC firmware needs update ?) I'm not doing anything anything special to get ipmitool. On Unbuntu 17.04: $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ipmitool $ sudo modprobe ipmi_devintf
  12. V

Vmware pulls the fan sensor from BMC/IPMI CIM. You can set the lower non-critical threshold using ipmitool. For example: $ ipmitool -I lanplus -U ADMIN -H 192.168.1.2 sensor thresh FAN1 Password: sensor thresh <id> <threshold> <setting> id : name of the sensor for which threshold is...
  13. V

Dual XEON 2696V4 + X10DAX Epic Disaster build - BSOD randomly - please help..

My RDIMM's are Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q and Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q. (I know, mixed stepping for memory modules.) These RDIMM's are on the tested memory list for the X10DRG-Q motherboard. Your X10DAX motherboard also list these Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC RDIMMs as tested memory. Its rare...
  14. V

The blue slots should be the first slot for each channel. Which means you're populating one slot per channel, per CPU. This DIMM population maximizes the memory performance on these motherboards, when using dual Broadwell-EP CPU. I also populate all 8 blue DIMM slots on X10DRG-Q motherboard...
  15. V

The E5-2696 V4 are Broadwell-EP. The Supermicro documentation for the X10DA{X,C,i} motherboard shows that you can populate all four channels, per CPU, and still have RDIMMs run 2400MHz. I'm assuming that your eight RDIMMs are evenly spread across the 4 channels * 2 CPUs (8 channels). Which...