Recent content by Vince

1. V

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

I think the Gold 8505 would be just fine, and save ~$60. My use case involves sitting mostly idle, then a short, bursty process every minute or two (incoming request, email, or something). Ideally it shouldn't need the extra P-core of the i3-1215U much if at all. However, as seen on this...
  2. V

CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

I can confirm it works as a boot device. I used it for the BIOS upgrade and installing operating systems.
  3. V

I left in the included fan. I can't hear it at all, and everything runs cool enough that I don't think it'll be a big deal if it fails.
  4. V

To update, I've been running this for two weeks as my router/server, running about a dozen services on Ubuntu 22.04, bare metal. It's been rock solid - no problems at all. Be sure to see this thread, where @fta posted an unlocked BIOS. With the settings there I and others are getting...
  5. V

That's a massive improvement in single threaded performance. That test comes later in the benchmark, so it shows that your CPU isn't throttling down as quickly as before. It's also a lot more relevant to a lot of workloads (like mine) than the multi-core scores.
  6. V

I'm using the HWP BIOS, and running Linux. I was writing directly to the /sys/class/powertop/... files to set PL1/PL2, which is what powercap-set does under the hood. PL1 changed to 22W with those settings, but PL2 never gets over 35W. Today I added in the TCC Offset settings, and used your...
  7. V

I'm able to install your unlocked BIOS on my i3-1215U. Thanks! I took some different steps to install it: Download the stock BIOS in zip format unzip onto empty, FAT-formatted USB drive (or microSD) Overwite ChangWang/ChangWang.BIN with the new BIOS, eject drive properly Remove all NVMe/SATA...
  8. V

I'm seeing all the same limits with the 1215U I just got. I haven't figured out a way to increase those limits yet, so I'm excited to see what you've done.
  9. V

I've got very inconsistent results with this. Sometimes when I plug in this device (or in the past, an actual monitor), the display will come up properly right away. Other times I get nothing until a reboot. For me, in every case I'm plugging into the console a reboot is required anyway, so...
  10. V

Pentium Gold 8505 based Router

This listing shows a PCB adapter board to use the WiFi NVMe port as another storage slot as an included accessory. My 1215U didn't come with it. Try contacting your seller to see if the'll send one out to you.
  11. V

For Firefox on Ubuntu 22.04, running a few tabs and a 4K video (on a 1080p monitor, but 4K from YT), it's 26W, with 12% CPU usage. I just helped a friend build a $500 gaming PC, which is a better desktop experience than this mini pc, though it idles at 60W and has fan noise. Though I wonder...
  12. V

My BIOS doesn't have most of those settings. Specifically no PL1/PL2 that I'm looking for. I'm going to try to get a capture of all the BIOS settings I can share here. So far 13W at idle is fantastic for me. It's going to replace a fanless N4200/M.2 SATA Liva Z computer which uses 18W at...
  13. V

I'll show you. That USB device basically turns my laptop into a monitor for the server. Use it and an HDMI cable to plug into the computer, open VLC, and start viewing the capture device. That's the display. I have to use a separate keyboard to type into the server. For me, this is about as...
  14. V

I pulled the trigger on being the Guinea pig for the i3-1215U 6xi226 from CWWK. I ordered it directly from their website Feb 20, and it was delivered to me in Los Angeles today (Mar 3). Total $341.47 USD (bare system), which is a bit cheaper than on aliexpress. I've pulled it out and have a...