Recent content by vikingboy

1. V

supermicro chassis SC846, backplane questions

I went with the A backplane in the end too, I already have the HBA's. Picked up a 846A-R1200B with X8DT3-LN4F motherboard and Areca 1280ML for $250 recently. Should be able to sell off those parts and net out close to zero for the chassis, drive trains, PSU and backplane.
  2. V

Cisco SG500x-24p console cable?

ah, maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to boot then when I tried port 24. thank you for taking the time to respond probably saved me hours of searching through old cables looking for a DB9 null modem or $30 at Microcenter!
  3. V

Scammers using Ebay and Amazon Elastic Cloud service

I think you are missing the point? The scammers use the credit card details to deliver the item the customer ordered to the customers address, i.e the item does go to the billing address. The scammers then use the credit card to order whatever else they want....its a way to skim credit card...
  4. V

Cisco SG500x-24p console cable?

Bought a ridiculously cheap SG500x-24p recently which is "as new" but came without the console cable. Is this DB9 cable just a plain old serial cable or custom which I'll need to order up or solder?
  5. V

Cisco SG500X Layer 3 - 24 port - 4 x 10 Gbps Switch

so close....just wish these had been POE :) I see these have 4 x SFP+ ports, can I use these to connect to desktops and servers or are they purely switch to switch like some of the dells and HP's Ive looked at recently. I need 4 10gig ports and 24 1gig POE's.
  6. V

Recommend NAS on VM?

Cyberjock is certainly an interesting character but in no way should he put you off using FreeNAS....its a sound solution and you should at least take it for a spin to see for yourself if it does what you need.
  7. V

FreeNAS 9.3 (CIFS poor 10GBe performance) Looking for tweaks / hints / whatever

I use a 10 drive RAIDz2 array with a e5-1630 processor and 32GB ram and manage to pretty much max out the 10gbe line. I found 10gbe to be far from plug and play though and needed to tune both ends of the line to raise perf from around where you are now (I use a mac and thunderbolt > Intel x520...
  8. V

Neo's FreeNAS Build

Subscribed: interested to see how you structure you drive arrays to take advantage of the 10gbe networking.
  9. V

New RasPi based toy...HDMIPI

are these forums sent to bankrupt us!? I have absolutely no need for that whatsoever but it sure looks like a fun project for a rainy weekend....
  10. V

Homebrew 10GbE switch

Completely agree, 2 8x slots would be really useful. The A1SRM board has a 4x slot which I use for an addition i350 quad port card and the x8 slot for the x520. It has the benefit of using 'proper' RAM too. Seems everyone misses it and goes for the smaller A1SRi for some reason.
  11. V

Homebrew 10GbE switch

I have a small need for connecting one workstation to a fileserver by 10gig to speed up some video production work I do at home. I tried to add a Intel x520 to my Intel 2758f Rangeley board running pfSense 2.2. Bridging the two NICs I managed to see close to wire speed and could max out my...
  12. V

FreeNAS: Hardware vs. Hardware

24TB array will be well served by either RAM setups. FreeNAS+AMD seems more problematic than FreeNAS+Intel so Id keep system two on paper. Of course, scientifically, you could configure and bench them both and keep the one you KNOW works best/fastest. 17TB of your 20TB (after formatting etc?)...
  13. V

Poor man's diy ZeusRAM

ThankS...I'm going to have to give that a go, I've got a 100gb s3700 lying on my desk and was looking for something to use it for.
  14. V

Best VPS / Recommended?

Would appreciate some pointers to colo's who are highly rated please. For VPS I like ramnode. Lot quicker than digital Oceans in my testing.
  15. V

ASRock Rack 1U12LW-C2550 - 12 bay 1U w/ C2550

Thanks, thats useful info. I didn't how the lanes were applied to a card and pair of ports, i.e did each port see half the number of lanes or did 1 port see all 4.