Recent content by vegaman

1. V

$155.99 Crucial 16GB Kit (PC3-12800) ECC Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B/CT2CP102472BD1

Thanks, been looking for a deal like this for a while too. Locally they want that much for just 1 of the 8GB UDIMMs.
  2. V

Exanding zpool help

Hi, I'm running low on space and have started to upgrade to 4TB drives, but I'm not sure if ZFS will work the way I want here. I know I can expand a zpool by replacing the drives with larger ones, but my zpool is 2 6 drive RAIDZ2 vdevs. Can I expand just one of the vdevs? Or do I have to...
  3. V

2x Intel Xeon e5 2650 v2 8-core, 20MB cache

That's an engineering sample of the older Sandy Bridge-EP model. These are retail Ivy Bridge-EP chips, they cost a lot more.
  4. V

Intel Fortville Adapters - What are you going to do with them?

Just saw these in the release notes of the Intel driver updates and came here to see if there was more info, nice!
  5. V

(Solved) Supermicro A1SAM and Asus P9A-I issues with 1x16GB DIMM

Those boards only support unbuffered ECC (or non-ECC), not registered. So unfortunately that's the expected behavior.
  6. V

Recommendations on firmware upgrades for various components

I've updated with 2 cards installed before, the -c flag allows you to choose which card you want to flash. I'd recommend flashing them to the same version. I'd personally update anything that isn't in use yet. And only update the others if you're facing issues or rebuilding or something.
  7. V

VLAN config

Looking at that I'd say it's because you're only allowing TCP, so DNS queries are being blocked. Change the protocol of your rules to 'any'.
  8. V

Quiet, cheap 1U server for ESXi?

Quiet and 1u don't really mix unless you're using something like an Atom CPU. The servers you're looking at will generally have a bunch of 8500rpm 40mm fans in them - they make a lot of noise. If you go to 2u you can use 80mm fans which will make much less noise
  9. V

WD Red 4TB $140

I had to use a freight forwarder. I don't know why it says "worldwide" shipping when everywhere seems to be excluded.
  10. V

WD Red 4TB $140

Thanks. Ordered a couple. Might get more if the deal isn't finished. Just don't want to get stung with import tax.
  11. V

Intel Avoton C2750 Benchmarks - Supermicro A1SAi-2750F

Video is done by the BMC chip. So you're not going to get good performance out of it.
  12. V

Time for IP Cameras - Recommendations

I've just been thinking about the same thing. I'll probably need PoE (or a proprietary version), because running power to where I want the camera would be a hassle. I'll have a look through the ones above. The other trouble I'm thinking I'll have is that my front door is on the main street of...
  13. V

Low noise 1U chassis

I'm looking for the same kind of thing, but for a SuperMicro Atom motherboard (X7SPA-H) running pfsense - i.e. a lot less heat to get rid of. So I was looking at the http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1u/504/sc504-203.cfm but I'm not sure what is meant by "low noise" when it's coming...
  14. V

Cheapskate's guide to intel NICs, aka "Friends don't let friends buy realtek"

Thinking either i350 or x540 for my server(s if I find some bargains or a bunch of money). The PRO/1000 PT should be fine for my pfsense box though I assume? It already has dual Intel NICs, but I might end up wanting more ports.
  15. V

LGA Insertion/Removal Tool -- No more bent pins?

^ This. Since LGA I've only had bent pins on boards that arrived that way, usually because of bad packaging - i.e. RMA replacement board shipped without a box. I think you'd be better off trying to find a package forwarding company or even a friend or something in Taiwan to do it for you. Group...