Recent content by vcc3

1. V

PCIe Gen 4 bifurcation risers and NVMe SSDs

If the cable is not extraordinary long (1 meter or more) you really should not need a retimer, based on my experience. When I did start to read your post I first thought that the UEFI setting for for JVNMe0/ JVNMe1 is wrong. But you already checked that. The only thing that stuck out a bit...
  2. V

PCIe Gen 4 bifurcation risers and NVMe SSDs

I got the oportunity to play with some PCIe Gen 4 NVMes and want to share my observations in this thread since it already contains many interesting and usefull posts. For my testings I used the following hardware: CPU: AMD EPYC 7402P Mainboard: Supermicro H12SSL-i Case: Supermicro...
  3. V

Xeon E-2300 vs. Zen 3 system - Buying advice

I want to react to "support for the X470 was crappy". I have two ASRock Rack X470D4U boards with AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12C/24T, 3.80-4.60GHz). The boards are in 2U rack servers with twelve 3,5" SATA HDDs, two U.2 NVMe drives, one m.2 NVMe boot drive, and two dual port SFP+ network cards. I had zero...
  4. V

AMD EPYC Milan Idle Power Consumption

As suggested by Keith Myers, I did a test with y-cruncher. I observed the power consumption reported by the PSU as I did during my tests with yes. However, this time both PSUs was plugged in and the values represents the sum of booth PSUs. I did not try the suggested zen power tools, I'm sure...
  5. V

Sounds like a cool little server! do you have pictures? Does the UDIMMS support ECC? Does the Mellanox CX3 two SFP+ ports, or does it have interfaces with higher bandwidth? I have also build a 2U rack server for 12 3.5" HDDs and 2 2.5" NVMe SSDs around the Asrock Rack X470D4U but your server has...
  6. V

yes does for sure not stress the entire system, but I think for testing the CPU cooling system it is at least as good as pxy. From what I understand, the CPU Cores (Register, ALU, Instruction decoder....) at very high clock rates consumes a lot more energy than the IO parts of the CPUs with a...
  7. V

@nasbdh9 CPU-Z is a Windows Program right? I will not install windows. In order to stress the CPU I just used yes > /dev/null &. I think this should be fine for testing the cooling system. CPU Temperature With 3 times CUI Devices - CFM-A225-13-22 (120mm x 20mm, 4100rpm) as midspan case fans and...
  8. V

room temperature: about 24°C humidity: about 65% 19" 4U rack case with 16 x 3.5" hot swap HDD trays and 8 x 2.5" drives in the front. However, only 2 2.5" NVMe SSDs was physically installed during the test and only one connected for some tests - see my instal post. There is no air shroud in the...
  9. V

From reading at this forum and other places of the internet I got the feeling that the idle power consumption of AMD EPYC Milan CPUs must be really bad. I can not remember all pages where I rad that the idle power consumption of Milan CPUs is "so high" but my impression is that hardly anyone is...
  10. V

Epyc 7443P and all those missing 7003 Epycs + next Threadripper info

@lihp could you please tel me wehre you could order an EPYC 7443P. Hence, I want to order one since the Milian presentation.
  11. V

Best low power SFP+ cards

While it is not exactly an answer to the original question, my temperature observations from SolarFlare cards could my be helpful in this context. The Product Specification in older versions of the Solarflare Server Adapter User Guide [SF-103837-CD-18_Solarflare_Server_Adapter_User_Guide.pdf]...
  12. V

Noname NVME adapters

I understand! I want to build a mini ceph cluster (3 nodes) and considered min-ITX and flex-ATX and other small form factors because of the power consumption. However, I give up on that idea, because the very limited amount of PCIe lanes requires to much compromises.
  13. V

Noname NVME adapters

Hi @Bjorn Smith, I would be interest in your experience with ANU04PE16 PCIe 16x to 4x SFF-8643 bifurcation riser. Does it work with U.2 NVMe SSDs? Does it support PCIe 3.0? I would appreciate an answer very much. :)