Recent content by unphased

1. U

RoCE v1 implementation (SX6036 heatsink/silence mod running log!)

Yes. And I have in particular not gone down that rabbit hole yet myself. My understanding was that this approach can allow tuning down to just above the 4000rpm mark, something like that. I will remind myself to play around with that next time I get a hankering for reducing noise, before buying...
  2. U

US MELLANOX SX6036 - $200

Yeah took me a few hours, bordering on days of research spread across a few months but I began to realize Mellanox (now nvidia) 40G switching is the sweet spot. just like connectx-3 (and now/soon connectx-4) are the sweet spot for NICs. Windows and Linux capabilities seem solid, and It's been...
  3. U

RoCE v1 implementation (SX6036 heatsink/silence mod running log!)

I've been out of town for months but my workstation and network are still running 24/7 at home. I have not been monitoring the switch's temps or anything, have no reason to expect it will change from what I had observed earlier. I would expect that running it with greatly reduced airflow without...
  4. U

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

That's great info! Awesome. Yeah, I think I speak for many when I say that it is a big factor on designing a system whether the addition of the PLX card is going to add 5W extra power draw or 20W extra power draw! Would definitely think twice if it were 20W. It's not enough to make a big...
  5. U

Is that 20W out of that PLX chip? or 20W total with the drives (each of which can go to say 6 watts or even higher), big difference there. i have mine with the heatsink off and i havent found the ceramic cooling chip attached to the PLX chip to be very warm. HOWEVER, I have mine hooked up to x4...
  6. U

[SOLVED] 1Gb uplink from SX6036 does not re-enable after power cycle. Needs transceiver resocketing

once my helpful neighbor came to help me replug the cable, i realized I misremembered which port i plugged it into, which is important to get right for configuring it from the webui of course... now i'm back up and i am still hopeful it may come back up properly on its own at the next power...
  7. U

[SOLVED] 1Gb uplink from SX6036 does not re-enable after power cycle. Needs transceiver resocketing

I guess I should also put this switch behind a network switchable smart plug. As I suspect that the transceiver can be woken up by physical power cycling instead of a switch reboot. What I'm trying now is disabling the port, then rebooting the switch, and re-enabling it; possibly rebooting again...
  8. U

I use a 10Gtek 1 (1.25?) Gb RJ45 to SFP+ transceiver (from amazon) and a SFP+ to QSFP+ adapter (ebay listing title was HP MELLANOX 655902-001 655874-B21 QSFP/SFP ADAPTER) to connect my LAN switches (going through one unifi switch flex mini powered on USB-C to reach my router) to my SX6036. I...
  9. U

Anyone know if Raspbian OS (with desktop) disconnect from wifi/sleep/shut down on its own after some time?

Sorry I couldn't find a suitable forum to post this question in. I tried /r/raspberry_pi on reddit but they auto-deleted my post. I left my home on an extended trip and wanted to use a raspberry pi with camera to monitor my water meter in my house by capturing automated still photos and running...
  10. U

Hmm so does this mean that running my x8 3.0 HBA (LSI 9201 or some such? It's Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05) in Linux) on x4 lanes is going to limit its bandwidth? It's clear it shouldn't impact HDDs at all. Let's suppose I run this card off a x1 slot which at 3.0...
  11. U

Yeah I'm "behind the times" on pcie 4 and ddr4 over here because I invested rather heavily in zen 3. historically i tend to go in bursts because the intensity of my computer hardware obsession comes and goes like waves. Recent AI developments are the start of some changes that are probably going...
  12. U

Yeah I also have a 5800X3D SFF gaming workstation rig which I will grab a $88 2x32GB kit (the crucial one) tomorrow so I can take it with me on my trip, and that upgrade is going to really let me stretch its workstation legs. 32GB DIMMs cheap as dirt is really coming in handy, these ones are...
  13. U

Here is an example. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805484706547.html however it will be a lot of adapter shenaningans to adapt to M.2, it may be more straightforward to adapt that SFF-8654 into U.2 instead. I opted for my personal needs a 4x M.2 card...
  14. U

2696 v2 for $16.50. 2697 v2 for $25 or less

Yes! I found this but would like to know what exactly i should be able to extrapolate from this information other than that in theory RDIMMs can work, what would it mean for various LRDIMMs out there? Possibly spend $15 for 16GB or $25 for 32GB DDR4 LRDIMM to test out, and today 64GB modules...
  15. U

2696 v2 for $16.50. 2697 v2 for $25 or less

Anyone know if Asus Sabertooth X99 can run RDIMMs with a v4 Xeon? I find this board has RDIMM items in its QVL list. I have read many reports of ASRock X99 boards being amenable to them as well. And also reports that ASUS work. Just not been able to find anything re: this specific board. I have...