Recent content by Un Nameless

1. U

Hardware vs software RAID5 (ext4 vs ZFS)

Isn't this more of a solution for NVME RAIDs or solid state instead of traditional spinners? I can't see what advantage I'd get as long as I still use 100 Seagate Exos X18 7200 rpm drives.
  2. U

Thanks for the elaborate input! I was leaning towards ZFS not only for the goodies you mentioned but also more control from software! I guess though that money was wasted on such an expensive LSI RAID controller, that, I assume, once set as JBOD and the rest done at software, becomes just a...
  3. U

Do you think there will be significant overhead for software RAID vs hardware?
  4. U

Dully noted but this doesn't address my question!
  5. U

Hi folks, I've got a 100 drive JBOD connected to my server via a 12 SAS connection to an LSI 9580 RAID card! I'll use this JBOD for large file storage! I've got two options as far as I'm aware: either go with the BIOS management of the RAID controller, and create there a couple of RAID5...
  6. U

Please help me out with my 10G-100G home network upgrade/topology

100G only with the server! Since the server already has a 100G NIC, why not?! Just yesterday I had a write onto the server SSDs of 14G/s. The rest of the home could simply stay at 10G for the uplinks as various clients connect wired via RJ45 at either 1G or 10G. Of course if the uplink is at 10G...
  7. U

Please help me out with my 10G-100G home network upgrade/topology

Hello people, I'm trying to upgrade my home network and hopefully soon also my internet fiber to 10G. But first things first the LAN upgrade: I recently scored a good deal on a brand new SN2010 switch! This will be the core switch in my server rack. I bet most of you know but it supports (18)x...
  8. U

Any 10G RJ45 w/ 4xQSFP 100G uplinks switches out there?

Hi all, Need to scale my home from copper to fiber and I was thinking to spread the house with a few 100Gb uplink switches, that communicate to one another via fiber, and have the clients connect via 10G RJ 45! Are there any reasonable priced switches?
  9. U

Thunderbolt 3 add in card?

Hi folks, This might not be the proper sub, but I don't know where to post it! Sorry if the question is a bit odd, since I assume virtually nobody uses Thunderbolt storage with their servers, as it's an inferior solution in a way than an LSI megaraid controller card or HBA, but still, are there...