Recent content by TuxDude

1. TuxDude

Time for a new router

No - budget of $0 just means it wasn't budgeted for, so needs to stay cost-effective. But like it or not (in this case, not), I'm buying a new router to replace the dead one, and I'm buying something of quality that will be a reliable router for the next 5+ years. It's gonna cost me a few $$$...
  2. TuxDude

Time for a new router

Well - budget is $0, this is an unplanned purchase, but gotta have a router so I'm buying one anyways. As I mentioned - cost is a factor, cheaper is better, but it's gotta happen. Performance wize - must keep up with my 1gbps internet service, and I do like having suricata running on there...
  3. TuxDude

Time for a new router

Hey all - it's been a long time, maybe some around here still recognize me... Anyways, my home pfSense router died last night - was one of those little quad-port mini-PC devices from ali-express. Ran great for the last 5 years or so, so I figure I got my moneys worth there - but now I find...
  4. TuxDude

Fed up with BRTFS Redhat to create new ZFS-like FS called Stratis

I'd have rather seen redhat put this money/effort into improving BTRFS. They make only a minor mention about it in the initial proposal, only really saying "Btrfs has no licensing issues, but after many years of work it still has significant technical issues that may never be resolved." No...
  5. TuxDude

An internal 4xSSD module for SC846/SC847

I should find the extra drive mount I designed to stick some extra drives into my SC846 and post it here. It's a parameterized SCAD file, so can easily generate models for mounting any number of drives with customizable spacing between them. I just drilled a few holes in the lid of mine and...
  6. TuxDude

Linux KVM Virtualization - Is it mature enough now?

Ya - KVM is super solid. Not just in lots of private deployments, but backing lots of major cloud players as well. It's weakness is on the front-end, managing KVM can be more of a pain. For a small-scale, easy-to-use deployment, you could maybe look at Nutanix community edition. Their...
  7. TuxDude

SOLD: Mellanox InfiniScale IV IS5022 QDR 40Gb/s 8-Port InfiniBand Switch

Oh how I wish I could take this off your hands - just way too much other crap going on right now.
  8. TuxDude

3D Printable FusionIO & Mellanox ConnectX2 Full Height Adapters

Even if it does get to 80 - if you print it in ABS it will be fine. As a quick general reference - printed parts will start to get soft/deform at the following temps: PLA - 40-50C (some PLA's can be annealed, after which they can take 80-100 degree temps) PETG - 80C ABS - 100C
  9. TuxDude

JHC, what the heck does it take to get pfSense working correctly????

You probably need to enable and/or reconfigure the DHCP server if you changed its LAN IP.
  10. TuxDude

Can a cluster do everything a SAN can?

Twice_Shy - I don't know if you will ever need a SAN - for the types of workloads you keep referencing there is nothing to be gained by having shared access to block-level storage. All your video-type apps will be better handled by file-level (aka NAS) shared storage. Maybe if some distant day...
  11. TuxDude

Can a cluster do everything a SAN can?

Well I suppose you could consider all all storage to be "non-volatile memory", and sure, an externally attached array qualifies just as much as a local NVMe device. But SAN's are not a terrible choice for databases, and in many respects have performance that far exceeds direct-attached storage...
  12. TuxDude

I think I want to use... SnapRAID! (talk me into or out of it)

Basically - yes. Except that for say an 8-channel SAS3 card, that means an aggregate bandwidth of 12*8 = 96Gps of SAS bandwidth to share across however many drives you connect using SAS expanders. Using SAS expanders! Think of it like a SAS switch (but not quite - SAS switches also exist...
  13. TuxDude

Home firewall poll

I've started to play around with VyOS a little bit - but its not in any real use yet. And there's no poll option to pick it as a second.
  14. TuxDude

I think I want to use... SnapRAID! (talk me into or out of it)

I think its not so much that a SAN is required for the highest levels of performance - but more that people needing the highest levels of shared-storage performance all use SANs to accomplish that, or at least used to. The current trend seems to be more towards software-defined scale-out...