Recent content by thy.flesh.consumed

1. T

4TB P4500 SSD - USD$375

They are to a certain degree. After some point they just become annoying.
  2. T

Anybody need a PB of storage?

Weight: Product with 102 HDDs: 262lbs This thing weighs as much as an entry level gun safe. At least you'll be able to disassemble it to move it to the final location. I'm in agreement with @denywinarto though - it's really cool to see 1PB in such a compact package, but totally impractical...
  3. T

Today only $399: XPG SX8100 Series: 4TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280, 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive

Sale ends in 4 days, so clearly it's not today only :D Also, FYI $400 is a regular sales price on this drive. It's a nice enough NVME if you need 4TB of storage, it may not be the highest performer but the price is right.
  4. T

Aww shucks... Seagate 14tb $199 BH Photo

Does anyone know how these shucked seagates compare to shucked WDs in terms of idle noise? Quieter, louder, roughly the same?
  5. T

WD Easyshuck 10tb $160

Nobody knows how long Helium drives will last, Helium is still a relatively new thing on the market. My typical hard drive replacement cycle is every 6 years. My oldest 8TB Helium drive is slightly over 3 years, so about half way through their replacement cycle, no issues so far. Backblaze is...
  6. T

WD Easyshuck 10tb $160

So far there have not been any reports of 10+TB drives as air filled so this is almost assuredly helium. As far as price, for the past 3 or so years WD Easyshucks best prices have always been around Black Friday. If you can wait 9 months till next BF you'll most likely get better price. $16/TB...
  7. T

7.6TB Ultrastar DC SSDs - WD N630 NVMe U.2 $639, HGST SS200 SAS12 $619

You can always get PCIe adapter like this one Amazon.com: Dilinker U.2 to PCIe Adapter - x4 PCIe - for 2.5" U.2 NVMe SSD - SFF-8639 PCIe Adapter - U.2 SSD - PCIe SSD - U.2 Drive(PEX4SFF8639): Industrial & Scientific if you don't have native u.2 port. Good deal. Wish these were direct pcie half...
  8. T

Asus WS X570 Ace on sale again at amazon, $200!!!

Really wish this had a passive heatsink. I've looked up pictures online and the actual heatsink is only about third of the total area, the rest is either empty space or taken by the fan. I bet they could have cooled it passively if they used entire space for a big giant heatsink instead.
  9. T

Adaptec 71605 Corrupt data on Raw drives, UEFI, GPT

Please do report back. I did my own testing here https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/nice-deal-28-adaptec-asr-71605-pci-e-3-0-x8-16-port-sas-controller.28836/post-276001 and I couldn't find anything wrong. I'm planning on putting this card into service sometime next month and it...
  10. T

SK Hynix PE3110 960GB M.2 SSD

eBay says it's a 3 day sale, so the price may go back up after that.
  11. T

EU WTB - Low Profile bracket for Mellanox Connectx3

If you have vise and dremel you can easily make half height bracket out of full size one. I had to do it for one of my intel NICs to make it fit into pfsense itx case. Mark the spot where you need to bend the metal bracket, bend it in a vise. Cut off extra with dremel and make a small notch for...
  12. T

Samsung OEM 960 Pro 1TB $350

AFAIK PM961 is OEM equivalent of 960 EVO. Not PRO. One is MLC, the other is TLC.
  13. T

SK Hynix PE3110 960GB M.2 SSD

I'm looking to buy 1TB SSD for my virtual machines in VMWare workstation. I was looking at Plextor M8PE 1TB HHHL (MLC, 768TB endurance, PCIe 4x adapter with heatsink), but this also looks tempting for almost $100 less. Any advice on Plextor 1TB M8PE vs this SK Hynix PE3110 960GB?
  14. T

Do I need drivers for PCIe SSDs?

Thanks. I guess that makes sense. Of my list (Micron p420m, Fusion IO, Virident Flashmax II, Intel 750) it looks like Intel 750 is the only drive with NMVe interface. And it looks like windows support for the p420m/FusionIO/Flashmax is nonexistent on Win10/Server 2016. Makes me one sad bunny.