Recent content by thisnewaccount

1. T

The curse of 1u chassis: loud 40mm fans!

Heavens. the CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 (what you called 'JBPWR3') is more expensive and difficult to get north of the border, so much so that the fans were cheaper (esp. the sunon i mentioned) every time i looked. that's why i'm looking at the sunon (KDE1204PKVX): 4*16.32cad vs. 150-200cad for the better...
  2. T

there is no motherboard in the chassis, only a JBPWR2 board that lets me turn the beast on/off with the power button on the front. it's just a dumb jbod chassis. as for the sunon replacement i mentioned, i would not slow it down, as 27db is much better than the 44db i currently have (values...
  3. T

i recently laid my hands on a working but empty 1u chassis that was being disposed of (a supermicro sc813m), to hold the last few drives i can add to my "backup" server. hey, can't beat *free*, right? anyway, bought a used power board off ebay (a supermicro JBPWR2) along with an SFF-8088 to...
  4. T

manual / documentation for a supermicro powerboard?

cool, thank you very much. i did look into quite a few chassis manuals where that information was supposed to be, as an appendix, to no avail. this is the first one that actually had the appendix i was looking for. for those who would like the information without looking any further, i...
  5. T

manual / documentation for a supermicro powerboard?

hello -- just bought a used PCC-JBPWR2 off ebay and, looking for documentation, discovered that supermicro documentation for older hardware seems to be impossible to find. you'd think they'd keep files for older hardware, but apparently not. does anyone have a copy they can spare? (ha)...
  6. T

storage: so, everything was working fine until...

very, very delayed update to my situation. so i did order a spare backplane off e-bay (seller was in latvia) some time ago and i finally was able to do the swap today. the situation suddenly took a turn for the worse after inexplicably getting somewhat better for a brief period of time: all...
  7. T

@BeTeP : thanks for the info. over the week-end, ordered a rev. 1.02 backplane, for roughly 100cad, shipped. there must be places other than ebay for techies to order life-cycled/retired storage equipment. my employer cannot be the only one that offloads large quantities of gear onto the used...
  8. T

am back from dealing with the unpleasantness that life throws at us. so, here goes, quickly: @BeTeP : i have searched for updated firmware on the supermicro site, but haven't found it. must be too obvious. but first, how do i check the backplane's fw version? secondly, how would i do it...
  9. T

update: having to deal with a family member who is sadly in his sunset days has kept my attention away in the last week or two, so i haven't been able to continue this thread as diligently as i should have. first, @Fritz: i would say that a bad cable or an improperly seated one would have...
  10. T

Due to an illness in the family, was not able to beat on this situation as much as i would like. I did observe something, though. It means something, unsure what it is exactly. it does indeed look as if you wait long enough (roughly 1.5 hours), the missing drive does become visible & usable in...
  11. T

(2nd update of 2) curiouser and curiouser... after taking care of the homefront (kitchen, etc.), i sat down to check motherboard & bios information via the dashboard, only to end up seeing the new drive visible again. so within an hour or so, it's as if the drive, somehow, decided to wake up...
  12. T

(1st update of 2) after yesterday's unexpected improvements of sorts, i booted that server again tonight to continue the process of adding the new drive (shut it down after it finished clearing the disk, was now going to format it and the rest), only to have the ~"boot media not found" error...
  13. T

another evening where external obligations didn't leave me time to do extensive testing. i did manage to get that 2nd server to boot under gparted live, which didn't see the new drive either (22 drives only). and to add insult to injury, could not find a way to get any log file off the box...
  14. T

my gut feeling is telling me the cause of my troubles is not sexy at all, that it is blindingly obvious and rather stupid. i'll see if i can boot that box with a live distro (something like 'gparted live') to see what it tells me (dmesg, syslog, etc.). come to think of it, i did make of copy of...
  15. T

quick update: was not able to perform any significant testing this evening, but managed to check the unraid syslog to see if there would be any error message, anything that could yield a clue why unraid is not seeing the new drive that was added to the external jbod array. whilst the h200e does...