Recent content by TheTamago

1. T

2u 2node server with Shared Storage (Newbie needs help)

Coming from Nutanix AHV with multi-node 2-3 filled nodes in 1U or 2U units, certain amount of drives are contained to that specific node. There is no "true" sharing of the 24 bays with the two nodes. So technically, you can only use 12 bays for each node. You can ask a Supermicro rep for...
  2. T

ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

I am wishful of that thinking too and they did release a deep mini-itx release not long ago. Annoying that they downgraded slightly from the AM4 X to B chipsets instead for the initial releases with AM5.
  3. T

AMD Home ESXi w/TrueNAS Build Out

Almost feeling semi happy with the VMware environment. TrueNAS HDD burn-in took about 7 days to finish with the solnet script. Pool and vDev are up and configured the SMB ACLs. Transfer between physical to vm burst up to about 110Mb on my 1Gb LAN so that is within reason. Found 1 snag in my...
  4. T

I can see your point and I am on the tipping stone on going to Promox if I couldn't get this working but I want to harness VMware as my platform and suffer through the "Enterprise" hell that I enjoy in my career. Else, well it will never be a fun day to enjoy after almost 20 some years within...
  5. T

November sale surprise came early by chance of luck with a fast sale direct from Newegg - SG EXOS X18 16TB $240~ after a $60 off coupon for each HDD. Sale was gone by around 10AM PDT so I was lucky! Got my Mikrotik hAP ac2 vLAN configured for the ESXi and in the vNetworks. Loaded TrueNAS Core -...
  6. T

X570D4U-2T2L - X570 Temp Sensor 90° at load

Hello STG forumers, This is in reference to my new home server build in DIY Server Build with the Asrock Rack X570D4U-2T2L. After running Memtest86, the X570 Temp sensor lit up reporting 90°C. At idle, its holding around 70°C and seems high and only 1 SATA SSD, 1 NVMe are hooked up. I can say...
  7. T

Node 1 internals ziptied and tided up. Racked and now running Memtest86 runs. Excited and will be installing ESXi 8 first to see how it fairs. BIOS CPU Power mode set to 65w ECO. All fans set to 58% and will dial down to maybe 50-55%. Noise is about 50db with my main PC and Node 1 I did verify...
  8. T

The Seasonic SS-500L2U is installed but encounter a minor mounting issue with the internal mounts going underneath the chassis. The alignment holes aren't beveled enough for screw clearance. The 3 screw mounts at the back are stable enough considering the depth of this chassis. db was near...
  9. T

Batch of 80x80x25 Artic P8 Max fans arrived and swapped them in. The server chassis fan housings come with silicone/rubber plugs. Just noticed that the hotswap(?) fan connections aren't the universal with the bracket alignment for 4 pins vs 3 pin. 2 separate fan lanes for each side of the...
  10. T

Dry fits completed. Not that happy for how the rail design works but its done. Server Node 1 Test setup completed and the OEM fans and the Seasonic 2U PSU are too loud. Ordered a 500W Seasonic and hope for better results. Using a Db app on my S21 ultra, its picking up about 60db ~ 65db and...
  11. T

Been fighting the first dry fit server/rail fit into the StarTech 12U. Being spoiled by quick snap-in rail kits, these are about 1-level worse than the iStarUSA TC-Rail-26 kit that I used on my Rosewill 4U. The alignment on each side is off by about 1-2mm and require pressure to adjust the...
  12. T

Going to be a semi busy weekend. Will be preparing Primary Node 1 for hardware installation and prep work into the rack to make sure all bottom spots are spaced and racked properly. Asrock Rack X570D4U-2TL2 AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 4x Crucial/Micron 32GB 3200 DDR4 ECC UDIMMS 2x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB w/HS...
  13. T

Security Alert - Supermicro BMC Vulnerability - CVE-2023-40284 to CVE-2023-40290

My daily read on upcoming and in the know for trusted news on IT Vulnerability News. I am sure we have a lot of Supermicro boards running "B11, CMM, H11, H12, M11, and X11 motherboards." From one security point, if your systems are exposed to the Internet, please consider network limitations...
  14. T

Small update. Way behind on my build out due to job and life. Finally considered my next decision from the original plan and go with 2 servers for some redundancy. Went over the pond as I couldn't find a good 2U to meet the needs of my design. Rosewill might have stopped making their higher...
  15. T

AMD Adds New Low Power AMD EPYC 7003 SKUs

Still planning my home server environment and nail biting between either the big Epyc or little Ryzens for a 12-16 Core build. Was debating on power/heat and the 7313P and even the older 7302P were both 155 vs the 5950X at 105. The new model at 130 might be ok depending oh much of a...