Recent content by thecoffeeguy

1. T

FreeNAS to host/run VM's

hey folks. I setup a FreeNAS box in my homelab to hold/run VM's that are part of my ESXi cluster. This is purely a development/testing type of environment and a playground. What started out as a quick and dirty setup, has slowly started to evolve to really looking at my setup and figuring out...
  2. T

ESXi server- 4 Port Card NIC recommendation?

Thanks everyone for the help. Kind of funny you mention that. I have (2) ESXi hosts and it seems to be growing. Currrently setting at 196gb of RAM between the two and have been working on the storage part at the same time (locally attached for VM's, working on a NAS for backups) The 10gig stuff...
  3. T

ESXi server- 4 Port Card NIC recommendation?

hey folks So i was just going to go out and buy a Intel 4 port NIC card for my ESXi server, but I had this feeling that I should ask first. last one i bought was a I350-T4 off of ebay, works just fine. I might buy another one, but before I do, should i consider something else? I dont see the...
  4. T

Question on storage for ESXi servers - SSD and AIC

Awesome..That should be plenty to be honest. I will look into those. Thank you!
  5. T

Budget, around $400-800 SSD, individually, up to 1tb. I expect some intense IO on a few of my systems, one in particular strikes me as being heavy on IO. It is running a SQL Server backedend with lots of reporting stuff shoved in it.
  6. T

Hey folks Was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions for some storage I need for a few ESXi servers. I was going to add a couple of SSD's to each server for local storage. Seems to wok well. However, i had a question about AIC card/storage. That is new territory for me. Looks like these...
  7. T

Tips on updating SuperMicro BIOS

Turns out, cant use that tool on X9 boards...just asked support. Have to do it the old fashioned way and hook up a monitor keyboard.... wonder if it is even wworth flashing?
  8. T

Tips on updating SuperMicro BIOS

Hey Folks I was gifted an old SM board recently for my FreeNAS box. This is the specific one: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O I am pretty sure the BIOs and other pieces need to be updated. However, I was testing out the 'sum.exe' and trying to do some stuff remote, but it says I can not do it...
  9. T

New ESXi server build - been awhile

i'll be in the process of returning this...man, what a PITB
  10. T

Yea, i just glossed over it. Bad on me. I found this: Supermicro AOC-SIMLP-3+ Add-on Card - IPMI 2.0 with Virtual Media Over LAN & Dedicated LAN & 3rd Data LAN Port - Newegg.com Would something like that work? Searching right now, and came across that from initial searching. That would be...
  11. T

This one. Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SRL X9SRL-0 Wracking my brain how i missed that. that is crucial... bah, not sure what to do...frustrated, bit beside my self...i dont want to hook up a keybard and monitor...man... :( :( :( :(
  12. T

Well, this is embarrassing. I realized building the server today, the mobo does not have IPMI. I just assumed it would since it is uspermicro. Gah...could i add one? sad face :(
  13. T

Definitely an option. That looks like a good CPU for a good price. I'd prefer to buy more than I need to than regret buying less and having issues down the road. I think i'll grab that CPU and drop a Noctua Heatsink on it (unless something betterr?). I like to keep my setups super quiet and...
  14. T

Just a quick update. Wanted to get thoughts on the CPU and memory, paired with the supermicro board: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SRL CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650L Ivy Bridge-EP 1.8 GHz 20MB L3 Cache LGA 2011 70W CM8062107185309 Server Processor - Newegg.com OR: Intel...
  15. T

Yea, you hit on so many things I want to test/play with. I signed up for VMUG with lots of cool toys to play with. All the things you listed, things i'd love to try. Doubt i would need a GPU (no plans anyway) so that could free up a slot for sure. I think i am going to buy that x9 board. I...