Recent content by The_Phew

1. T

EPYC Milan on Supermicro H11 board?

Great, the upper-right DIMMs in our cluster's H11DSis already hit 80C (in a cold server room, with case fans on max).
  2. T

No mention of CPU TDP? Strange. If it can't supply the full 280W the top-tier Milans support, then meh.
  3. T

Didn't all SuperMicro's competitors (Gigabyte, Tyan, Asrock, etc.) announce their 2P EATX Milan boards/BIOS updates the same week that Milan was released? The problem is that all those boards are typically unobtainium in the U.S., whereas SuperMicro seems to actually have distribution here. Oh...
  4. T

If SuperMicro wants to make H11-DSi owners buy a new board that supports Milan, they could at least release a dual-socket EATX replacement. Offering neither a BIOS update for the old board nor selling an upgraded 2P EATX board will just drive sales to competitors.
  5. T

I understand making business-driven decisions, but SuperMicro isn't even doing that. They don't even have an EATX 2P board available to sell that supports Milan (or PCIE 4.0 for that matter), so it's not like they are making any money by not supporting Milan on the H11DSi (if that is indeed...
  6. T

I didn't say throw away your old board, I said sell it to someone that is glad to save ~30% to be a generation behind.
  7. T

Buying a motherboard isn't a marriage; used/one-generation-old multi-proc server boards seem to sell for 60-70% of their new cost. We're talking about a ~$700 motherboard that usually has $5k+ worth of processors plugged in to it. If you want the latest+greatest, you'll be taking a bath to the...
  8. T

FWIW, well-known server/workstation builder Broadberry is configuring ATX workstations with the H11DSi motherboard and Milan processors. There are three possibilities: 1. Broadberry knows that Supermicro will soon release a version 3.0 and/or BIOS update for version 2.0 of this board that...