Recent content by tenet

1. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

No, there is no space for more without modding the chassis. I thought about this and asked Noctua support. They told me that this is not the intended use for their fans and that the CFM is too low to meet the airflow requirements without extra cooling. This is a 1U height chassis and...
  2. T

IPMI timeout (ASRock Megarac)

This is a bit old, but there is a solution that I wanted to share. I had contacted William at ASRock and received a very unsatisfactory answer, which is there is nothing you can do. However, (at least with BMC firmware 0.18) you can enable a sensor widget, which auto-refreshes regularly and...
  3. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Glad you caught up! :)
  4. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

You are understanding correctly, the chassis fans will spin down significantly with active cooling on the CPU. I don't have much experience with ESXi, so I've only been using it for testing. If you have some suggestions on what you'd like tested, I'm willing to give it a try.
  5. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

I believe I gave the correct part number as that is what I got when I ordered it. You also need to make sure that it is Revision 4.0 or it isn't the right one.
  6. T

Supermicro SCE300 / SC101F

You might want to revise your opinion on this. Take a look at Supermicro's SC504 series rackmount case. You can, in theory, fit 4x2.5", 2 SATADOM, and one M2.SATA all in one tiny case. Oh, and did you check out the 16 core version of this board? The real limitation is the maximum RAM...
  7. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Sorry, the period between the holidays is when we do our maintenance, so no time to even glace here. And that damnable Murphy kicked in and we lost some drives on several web servers. Finally finished with all the rebuilding. *fingers crossed* Nope. Undo screws. Gently pry off. Install new...
  8. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Here you go. This is before I moved the fan in the front of the case.
  9. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

@Netwerkz101 : Yes, it was bone stock. I added the heatsink and moved one primary fan so that I had a [1 0 1] configuration. I'm running ESXi 6 with three VMs set to autostart (pfSense, Ubuntu server 14.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS) Fan2: FAN-0065L4 Fan3: SNK-C0057A4L FanB: FAN-0065L4 As for...
  10. T

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Just a final note on the noise. It became so unbearable that I finally broke down and bought a SNK-C0057AL heatsink. Wow! What a difference! While it is still audible, it is much quieter. Primary fans spin roughly 2k slower, and more importantly, the CPU registers 12*C cooler! Totaly worth...
  11. T

X10SDV-8C-TLN4F+ build questions

I use Samsung part number M393A2G40DB0-CPB0 (16GB) with all of my X10SDV boards. I would look at the parts list for a X10SDV based board like the SYS-E300-8D for what they use for their 12V power supply. It'll give you a better idea of what is required.
  12. T

Looking for a lightweight server/build

I have two CSE-813MTQ-350CB cases, each with a LGA1150 board, (and a CSE-721 case, but that's a mid-tower) within ten feet of my bed. I don't even hear them other than the occasional spin up. That being said, I have a SYS-E300-8D that I can't put within 30 feet of me because it is so loud.
  13. T

Bah, you're right. It's a 2U fan. That's what I get for trying to function with a sinus infection. I guess you're stuck with the dynatron.
  14. T

Ix-nay on the dynatron cooler. I own one and it doesn't cool that processor enough, the fan will always be running. If I might suggest the following (assuming you go with SSDs): 1-Supermicro X10SLH-F Motherboard (X10SLH-F-O Supermicro LGA1150/ Intel C226 PCH/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ V&2GbE/...
  15. T

Help me build a low-power server!

From the source. (and for those too lazy to click, the answer is yes ;) )