Recent content by takeawaydave

1. T

Disk Read Write Speed ESXi / Synology NAS

Just for comparison here is the same test again with a SSD Read/Write Cache set up:
  2. T

Thanks - just hoping for some confirmation.
  3. T

Setting up a new home lab - currently I have a single PowerEdge R630 which boots ESXi from thumbdrive. PowerEdge is connected to Synology 1819+ with 10GBE - iSCSI provided datastore. I have installed Windows Server 2016 VM (2vCPU, 4GB RAM) and have used the PVCSI disk driver and installed VM...
  4. T

Recommendation for 10GBE Card for Dell PowerEdge

@vanfawx what does that ^ really mean? I was actually looking at getting this today where the SFP+ and cables have been bundled with the X520-DA card. In your opinion would I be covered here? Thanks and please excuse my apparent ignorance :)
  5. T

Recommendation for 10GBE Card for Dell PowerEdge

Hello - I am wondering whether any one could recommend a well priced 10GBE card for Dell PowerEdge R630. I want it to have 2 Ports ideally - eventually I plan to probably buy the MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN - however initially I would use just one of the ports and connect it to one of the two SFP+...
  6. T

Low Power Storage Solution

The Synology DS1819+ still looks a bit of a winner for what I want however noticed that its only possible to have 1 expansion card either the 10GBE E10G15-F1 card or the M2D18 - Dual M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD adapter card for SSD caching. Too bad you can't have both but then again these extras seem to...
  7. T

Thanks @acquacow for the parts list ! Any reason you chose the SM board over this one: ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R Looking at this one and it really seems to be the complete package for a lot less $
  8. T

Unable to see Intel DC S4510 Drives in VMware ESXi 6.7U3

I ran a disk benchmark test on a Windows 2016 Server VM with the following results: Performance seems ok but would be interested if any one could share an opinion on this
  9. T

Thanks @Rand__ Configured a virtual disk using the 2 Physical Disks using the PERC config util and can see the virtual disk now in ESXi. I'll have a play with this and see if I can get the native SSD exposed in ESXi by checking up on the HBA and Passthrough mode. I'd like to understand how...
  10. T

Exactly - I see the controller but no disks. But I can see the disks in the BIOS Utility and the iDRAC.
  11. T

No - this is exactly where I am unable to get them to show up. I only see the USB thumb drive from which I am booting ESXi.
  12. T

Yes I have been looking at this and as far as I can see the 2 drives are seen as 2 Physical Disks as shown:
  13. T

Attached to the system using the PERC mini controller. they were meant to be new but they’re of eBay so not sure they actually are. There seem to be signs of wear.
  14. T

Hello I am trying to get ESXi to be able to see 2 Intel D3-S4510 Drives - they are the OEM variety and I have them plugged into a PowerEdge R630. The drives are the ones references in this link: Downloads for Intel® SSD D3-S4510 Series (960GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 3D2, TLC) I have this afternoon...
  15. T

Does anyone know what the Synology storage software is based on ? Is it some ind of Freenas or ZFS ?