Recent content by tabby27

1. T

Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

fyi there's a new epyc cpu 9004 and supposedly a new gigabyte board coming out. it will have 4 full x16 slots and also several mcio things that i can't find any info about. but if i understand the mcio connectors can each hold 4 or 8 sata drives but the cables don't exist. anyone know anything...
  2. T

1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Ha! It is indeed about 100W, crazy. I don't "need" the 10G ports, but I do have a couple of servers with 10G ports on it so I figured I might start upgrading. However, no other endpoint has 10G yet, so I never see transfer speeds above 1G yet. I agree with you and I think I will opt for the...
  3. T

1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Hey everyone, great thread. I have one of these, and wanted your opinion on this... one of these supermicro 6x10G computers vs one of those j4125 celeron protectili minipc's ? I'm going to install ipfire (or pfsense, or openbsd) on them. If the minipc is better or equal, I'll just go with that...
  4. T

Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

I am considering getting this. The sole reason is that it has 5 pcie slots that can be used at x16 speed, which is nearly impossible to find. just about every other mobo has slots where one is x16 if nothing else is plugged in, otherwise 2-3 x8 slots at best. this thing has 5 x16 ???? can...
  5. T

How to build a real NAS with the windows OS (headless)?

Thanks yes. I think I'm giving up on this effort. Maybe I'll check out the linux way someday. Seems like a headache. Hopefully someone makes an addon card.
  6. T

Doing more reading, this might be impossible: Make a computer act as a virtual USB device for other equipments And I've been googling for a while now, and I don't see any adapters or anything to do this. Maybe the way to do this is on the box I make, use the ethernet port, and on the other...
  7. T

I've been building these storage boxes for a while now, but what I really want to try next is a windows based NAS. Meaning, I use a regular motherboard, and all those regular parts, but somehow, I can connect it to another pc using a REGULAR usb cable (ideally usb3.2). And the NAS shows up...
  8. T

9202-16e, PCI errors in device manager

Finally, I believe i now have the root cause of my problem, sheesh. When I first got the 9202 card, which needs a x16 PCI slot....I put it in a x8 slot to flash. It flashed fine, no errors, but clearly only part of it was successfully flashed to IT mode. THen when I started using it, no...
  9. T

Ok I have confirmed the problem: the 9202-16e is the issue. I put in a 9200-16e card and it seems to be working fine. But still could be the card or at least in one case i know it needed a x16 pcie slot, when i had it on a x8....you know how these mobos when multiple pcie are occupied, the...
  10. T

Another update....I don't understand this, maybe someone does. The way I "fix" the disconnected disks is like this. I take the disk that isn't detected out of the case, and attach it to another computer using those external usb docks. Then I check it, and it's usually perfect. Then I put it...
  11. T

OK I didn't try the linux ISO yet. But I removed the 16e card from the systems. It didn't work on the old supermicro-x10sat-xeon system (although I understand that because I don't have any x16 slots available if I use more than one pci slot), and on the other ThreadRipper server, sort of...
  12. T

I switched the slots, the problem still remains.
  13. T

You what I think it is....I have the 9202 card above on a x8 slot instead of a x16 pcie slot. I will swap it now, and I bet it will work.
  14. T

I have a 9202-16e, which has capacity for 16 disks, and technically shows up as two 9202-8 devices to computers. It's a windows machine, and I see that I have like 6 PCI and Unknown Device errors (yellow exclamation) in the Device Manager. And given that only one 9202 device shows up properly...