Recent content by SycoPath

1. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Huge thanks for the replies. This has been a major help in my understanding of how this all works. I mentioned vlan 4095 because VMWare states if you set a vSwitch to vlan 4095 it will "pass all traffic unmolested including vlan tags" according to the article I linked, so I assumed this is how...
  2. S

I have absolutely no experience setting up VLANS, so misunderstanding on my end is highly likely. I made a quick and dirty topology in paint for visual aid. OK, so the switch tags the traffic coming in on a port from a device that doesn't understand vlans. How do I configure a port to pass...
  3. S

Does anyone get a moment to look this over and make sure this will work before I send myself down a 2-3 hour rabbit hole again?
  4. S

I'm still missing it I think, sorry. Adding switch ports to a vlan tells the switch which vlan that port should be, but you also need to issue the tag e port# as well so tagged/untagged traffic will flow? This might be what I was missing. For example for my config, I have two workstations that...
  5. S

Been using an ICX6610 for a while I set up with the docs from Fohdeesha (huge thanks BTW), but recently trying to split my kids off onto a separate vlan and I can't seem to get it working. I was wondering if anyone had a minute to help. I've never set up vlans before, so this has been quite the...
  6. S

On ESXi7, Considering Hardware Upgrade for ESXi8, Recommendations?

I'm currently running ESXi7 on a Supermicro x9DRI-ln4f+ with a pair of e5-2690v2's and 256GB of ECC RAM in a Supermicro CSE-847. My datastore is on a 2tb P3700 (dell version, which refuses to be bootable) so I'm still using a USB based install for ESXi as well. I'm using pass through to give...
  7. S

Need a rack? This is pretty neat.

Link at the top was dead, found the new link for the square hole rails and putting the link here for my future use and benefit to anyone else. https://www.pennelcomonline.com/us/Rack-Rail-SQ-Hole/c-920.aspx
  8. S

Best PC Speakers EVER! ...and they are CHEAP! (Some DIY Required)

So I tripped across a speaker review somewhere before Christmas just raving about a little pair of super cheap bookshelf speakers and how amazing they were. I rolled my eyes a bit and moved on. As luck would have it, my main PC's speakers decided to stop working. I had an old Logitech Z2300 that...
  9. S

pfSense on Physical Switch

I didn't realize the vendors had pushed so much into ASIC these days. Just did a lot 0f reading and it's really impressive the amount of work that has gone into squeaking out every tiny bit of performance possible. I still don't see why you would need much horsepower in a CPU, or why a product...
  10. S

From what I understand, it's essentially just like how Intel CPUs handle AES offloading. There's hardware instructions built in that are just called and passed data instead of using many sequential instructions to get the same result. Think of it like taking the backroads to drive to another...
  11. S

I knew about the switching ASICs, but I don't see how it would be that costly. Everything could be electronically identical. Most of the specialty routing, VPN termination, NAT, etc. is already handled in the switche's CPU, which is usually connected to the ASIC via some internal ethernet...
  12. S

I've been running virtualized pfSense for years now under ESXi with a layer3 switch. I've been thinking, and I did some googling, but I don't see any switch hardware that will run pfSense as it's OS. There are some gateway style appliances, and I could whitebox it with one of the mini PC's from...
  13. S

$199(US) - Chenbro NR40700 4U 48-Bay Storage Chassis w/Rails & PSupplies

Thanks for all the interest, I sold all of the trays and expander boards. A few PSU left still and some misc parts. About to scrap the last case Wed Nov 20th.
  14. S

@Motion Thanks for Smooth Transaction

@Motion Just wanted to give you a quick shout out and say thanks for the smooth transaction.
  15. S

$199(US) - Chenbro NR40700 4U 48-Bay Storage Chassis w/Rails & PSupplies

Did you ever find drive trays for these? I have tons and plenty of spare parts. 2 of my chassis had a close encounter with a plumbing leak, cooked 16 4tb drives and 1 of the expander boards. I have tons of trays for these unused, I think 2 whole chassis worth. Send me a PM if your interested.