Recent content by swagler

1. swagler

LSI SAS 9211-8i / BROADCOM SAS 9211-8i

Thank you for the reply. I just ordered a new old stock WD Black Enterprise 2TB for $69.99. My motherboard uses old regular bios, not EFI firmware like new ones. LSI has great hardware, but lousy documentation i.e. version history retirements... Apparently P10 was first 9211 LSI firmware for EFI...
  2. swagler

LSI SAS 9211-8i / BROADCOM SAS 9211-8i

Does anyone know whether an LSI 9211-4i flashed with P7 SAS2004 IT firmware will recognize a 4TB SATA hard drive. My ASUS A8N-SLI Premium halts when flashed with P10-P20. I've only seen one post saying P10 and newer is required.
  3. swagler

LSI 9260-8i - poor random read/write performance with SSDs?

mrkrad, thank you for reply. I have recently installed a LSI 9211-4i in a 2005 Asus A8N-SLI Premium to gain 6mb/s transfer speeds for my 840 PRO 512. I found the hard way SAS2004 IT Mode doesn't support TRIM. Through further research I found that SAS utilizes UNMAP, TRIM being SATA counterpart...
  4. swagler

LSI 9260-8i - poor random read/write performance with SSDs?

mrkrad, could you please tell me if your 840 PRO's are receiving auto UNMAP commands. I've found a utility to manually UNMAP my 840 PRO 512, regain drive space, but haven't found a way to configure 9211.4i IT to auto UNMAP.
  5. swagler

LSI 9211-8I IT mode stuck during loading

Stubborn as I am, I continued researching. Found that SAS Controllers are designed to use UNMAP, TRIM being SATA counterpart. I've found no documentation on how to configure SAS2004 to send UNMAP commands, only glossary documentation that a filter driver needs to be utilized. Likewise, I've...
  6. swagler

I got confirmation from LSI Tech's that trimcheck.exe returns neither 9211 or 9207 controllers with v19 or v20 firmware & drivers were trimming SSD's on any Windows OS. So I removed controller, the taxing on old system wasn't worth the benefits to just drive HDD's. The performance was hardly...
  7. swagler

Confirmation: KB2990941 is only update for PCIe NVMe SSD's to have native MS driver support, it's not update for PCIe SAS/SATA connected SSD's. It sounds like Windows 8-10 support PCIe NVMe SSD's with TRIM.
  8. swagler

Excerpt from wikipedia: Windows 7 initially supported TRIM only for drives in the AT Attachment family including Parallel ATA and Serial ATA, and did not support this command for any other devices including Storport PCI-Express SSDs even if the device itself would accept the command.[38] It is...
  9. swagler

Terry Kennedy- Thanks. Do you know what wdcfg.exe in Win7 driver pkg is able to configure? It looks like sg3_utils package is for Linux? I'm running Win7 Ult x64.
  10. swagler

Terry Kennedy- Thanks for input. Yes, there's an ongoing debate whether drivers need to send TRIM on newer SSD's. All I know is "deterministic read after trim / read zero after trim" is required for LSI IT Mode HBA to TRIM, Samsung 840 Pro has it, 850 onward doesn't. I just joined Lime Tech...
  11. swagler

vanfawx- My Motherboard only has non-AHCI SATA II and no updated drivers supporting TRIM. Which using MS Standard IDE Drivers down grades SATA to IDE-150 (but does TRIM). I went with LSI 9211-4i to draw from multiple lanes on my nForce4 PCIe v1.1 x4 slot. All PCIe AHCI SATA controllers only...
  12. swagler

pricklypunter- Glad to hear from you. Well, the system is running great, both 512GB SSD and 2TB HDD are attached, not slowing SSD. After upgrade to 4GB RAM there's not been one anomaly while running, only manually having to turn off PSU after Windows shuts down. I constantly use R-Drive Image 6...
  13. swagler

I called LSI Support, and they've created a case regarding my configuration needing mptsas2.rom v7.11.00.00 to operate, where v7.39.02.00 halts, and 9211-4i causing system CPU, fans... hanging at shutdown, and TrimCheck returning TRIM not working. I called Samsung Support, they confirmed...
  14. swagler

Well, I got 9211-4i working, and booted to SSD now. I flashed the very first firmware v7 (that offered IT Mode) with ROM. I can configure in LSI bios, afterwards MB screen comes up again allowing to enter bios. It added a strange, incomplete (long name) drive device, so I ordered below add-in...
  15. swagler

Thanks. After closer look I see they're workstation, specs mention being sever grade... I think I've become a dinosaur using same gear so long. I need to start studying up and reading reviews. There are just so many boards, and dread upgrading.