Recent content by staph

1. S

Breakout-cable Friendly NICs for NIC to NIC DAC'ing?

Mellanox's 4-to-1 breakout cables are for making a single switch port into 4 switch ports, but I'd rather breakout a single QSFP28 NIC port into 4 SFP28 that I can then directly attach to SFP28 NIC ports from separate server. Seems like the CX4 cards won't work with this, which is a shame...
  2. S

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Are you still seeing the DHCP requests on the network?
  3. S

Do Mini-PCI to m2 or pcie adapters exist?

Thank you, no wonder I couldn't find a single adapter to do this. No returns on the mini-pci card I'm looking at so I should probably look into another (more modern) solution. Adapter stacking sounds painful.
  4. S

Do Mini-PCI to m2 or pcie adapters exist?

My question feels like a dummy check, as I thought this kind of adapter should obviously exist . . . I need an adapter that will allow me to use a mini-pci card in a "modern" motherboard (one with an m.2 slot / pcie slots). The manufacturer of the card (Audinate, and the card is their Brooklyn...
  5. S

NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

I'm not current on the state of wireless PC remotes. What do you use with the t640 that's been working for you?
  6. S

NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

@WANg it seems to be rated for 2400 ram but you’ve tested it with 2600 - any noticeable issues? Have you tried stress testing the ram in the system? I’m curious if 64GB of 2600 is contributing to the unexpected power downs...even a couple watts more than rated is nearly 10% of the total power...
  7. S

NVMe boot with SuperMicro X9DA7 & X9DRi-F

I forgot to mention, I installed Ubuntu 18.04 onto the drive. I was able to avoid having to use Windows on the server. But I still had to use Windows on a separate box in order to splice the new nvme rom into the original BIOS. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. S

For my X9drl-i3/f I was also able to use the process above to flash the additional drivers into the default BIOS and then re-install the new BIOS into the board. As I think others have mentioned, after this process the NVMe drive isn’t listed in the BIOS but I can install onto it and boot from...
  9. S

Theorectically, once you've installed the option ROM and gotten NVMe working with Windows 10, it should then also work with any modern Linux distro you install on that system, right?
  10. S

I've actually found that the IPMI on these is pretty reliable all things considered, including SoL, wake on LAN, and your other most common IPMI uses. I've got roughly 30 nodes managed by MAAS where IPMI is used in the process of basically every management function. The trick for OOB is...
  11. S

Did you get this working yourself? I'm having an extremely frustrating time even getting BMC to play nice on a Wiwynn Windmill.