Recent content by somename

1. S

EU Expired 1TB Optane DCPMM (4x256GB) €1000 (time limited offer)

Hi. I'm not really looking for 256gb modules, but may I ask which ASUS board you had them working in? Trying to find motherboard that support these in AP mode, but x11spa seems to be only board that is documented to work with optane pm. Thank you.
  2. S

FS: SuperMicro Hot-Swap Server - $300 Denver

Yeah, that will be the biggest drawback. Those Prescott gen is just awful with power. I ditched Northwood and went for Athlon that generation until Conroe. Athlon having ecc memory controller was big bonus. In fact, that's around the time I started dabbling with homelab, I think with Solaris 10...
  3. S

Any advantage to nvme hba other than saving pcie slots?

Good to know. Thanks. I actually read through the thread, and I am actually considering those cards. I still wonder though if I should just upgrade my platform to xeon w or xeon bronze and get few of something like these instead. As a bonus, I'd be able to use rdimms instead of udimms(my current...
  4. S

I was looking at lsi9400 or one of the supermicro options for hba. I wasn't sure if it was better to upgrade my hba or upgrade motherboard+cpu to platform with more pcie lanes and stick 4 pcie to u.2 adapters. Pcie 4.0 probably won't be in the card for me for a while. I'd want more pcie lanes...
  5. S

Does 4 port nvme hba have any performance or reliability benefits over using cheapo 4 u.2 to pcie adapters? Assuming sufficiently available pcie lanes of course. TIA
  6. S

Any experiences buying used s630dc?

I'm planning to pick up some sas3 ssd's to serve fast network share over 10gbe, and s630dc looks good to me specs and price wise. I'm little concerned over the relatively lower endurance rating since I'm planning to buy used. I also saw the s650dc thread, so that's another concern though the...
  7. S

Lowest (idle) power x86 possible (<10 Watts AC ideal)?

Soekris are more of an appliance vendor. They supposedly provide good support, so they might be worth it considering. They wouldn't be my first choice, frankly, for home use. And hey, I just realized you are a fellow SPCR user. You got me to buy Biostar 760G board one time :). That's the...
  8. S

Lowest (idle) power x86 possible (<10 Watts AC ideal)?

MSI made some industrial boards with Geode. I have one that I once used with PFSense. It has a lot of nice features like dual LAN ports, IDE connector(no SATA though), CF slot, PCI slot, and it consumed 10W max. One negative is that the LAN ports are Realtek. Then I found a random industrial Via...