Recent content by sociablewaver

1. S

Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

I'm an idiot. Kindly disregard. I had the thought that I would need to use a none standard cooler that just happened to fit to get the cooler cheaply. Sorry for wasting your time. ;)
  2. S

Sorry, I was thinking we all had the same setup from purchase. Supermicro X8SIA-F ATX 1156 Intel 3420 Intel Xeon X3450 2.66GHz 8MB Quad Core (Could upgrade to X3480 at 3.06 GHz on EBay for ~$120)
  3. S

Does anybody know what heat sinks would fit this processor? The current heat sink fan is the loudest part of my modified setup.
  4. S

Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440 (48 Bay SAS) Rebuild for Home Use

Would anyone be interested in me redoing this entire post with out the mistakes?
  5. S

I undid my previous modifications on the VGA cables. I pulled the pins out of the end of the VGA cable and the two original PCI cable ends. I put the new ends on my VGA cable and put the ground on the bottom and the 12 volt on the top. I had to splice the fourth pin on the 12volt row to the...
  6. S

I'm glad I decided to test this before hooking it up. I have all the positive and neutrals backwards. You have to move more than the single pin. I'll make a new post when I fix this error.
  7. S

So I decided before putting all my drives in to rewire the 12v wires to the backplanes. I found some shorter VGA cables from an older power supply in my box of cables. I chose to rewire these so safe in the wire mess inside the case. There are three layers of heat shrink tube over the...
  8. S

I am up and running! It's a lot quieter. Still loud, but nothing I can't handle. I can now have a normal conversation next to it and still hear the person I'm talking to. The decibel reading in front of the computer is right under 70. Behind it is a little quieter. I tested with three...
  9. S

Updated the first post. There was a portion I did not use, and decided to go with something else. XXXX DID NOT USE XX Replaced with next bullet XX $7.49 Cable Matters (2-Pack) 8-Pin PCIe to 2x Molex Power Cable – 4 Inches (Bought the adapter with two P4 adapters to increase the possible...
  10. S

I have attached some documents I found useful for this case, motherboard, etc...
  11. S

This might have been where I got the idea for the color red. :D
  12. S

I had a little excitement Christmas day with a minor house fire. So the decisions I made installing the power supply were not always the best. Yes, this is my excuse. I'm sticking with it. (Fire Album) Getting back to work, I need to make a bracket for the power supply. I'm not one of those...
  13. S

My hard disks will rarely be spinning all at the same time. So the temperature climb shouldn't be a big deal if I end up have to swap out the 120MM fans. The tool I used is something that really should be more useful than it is. I have had it for around a decade and have found that it works...
  14. S

The unit is loud. From my last rebuild it was the power supplies that make all that racket. If you remove just one of the power supplies, you notice a dip in noise once you silence it. Give it a try. The 120s may be loud, but not like the fans on the power supplies.
  15. S

To keep from taking this thread over, I started a new thread for my rebuild of this server to fit home use better. Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440 (48 Bay SAS) Rebuild for Home Use