Recent content by smellyeagle

1. S

ZFS CPU needs in openindiana

I have a 12TB raidz2 array that will service roughly 100 people during the day. I've allocated 18GB of RAM to oi. With new CPUs, are two cores enough with lzjb compression enabled? Most of the traffic is going to be compressed jpegs and less than a dozen vm images. Does oi still have problems...
  2. S

LSI 2008 + 12x 3tb sas disks + lots of duct tape

I ran into some trouble flashing the SAS2008 into IT mode and figured I'd put in my solution here for anyone else with a supermicro X9 motherboard (X9DTR-HF in my case, though I expect this method will work for others too). The X9 series of motherboards only have limited option ROMs and have...
  3. S

Wanted to report that the usb to molex power cable is working like a charm!
  4. S

I thought about doing something like this as there are plenty of 8 pin molex connectors but then there would be issues any time I tried to take a node out as the power would be connected to a part of the chassis that does not slide out with the node. Instead I'm using a USB to molex power cable...
  5. S

Those bad reviews are for the crappy SATA chip, if I went that route I'd physically cut away the SATA port and use a cable connected to onboard intel SATA chip. However, $50 seems expensive for that. What looks doable is getting the Syba SY-MRA25023 for $20 and then a USB to molex power adapter...
  6. S

Something like this would be awesome if it wasn't for the SATA-III chip onboard (marvel I think). If I could just pass through my own SATA from the MB it would be perfect. I guess I could physically modify the device if I couldn't find anything else, but I'd prefer to have SATA pass-through from...
  7. S

What is a PCI-e SSD mounting carrier? I could not find examples on google. Can't do this, unfortunately. This could work as the motherboard does have a DOM power connector, but I can't find any DOM to SATA power adapters Same problem here. How can I go from USB power to SATA power? These are...
  8. S

Ya, I agree with you about USB and revodrive. If I put SAS2008 in IT mode, I'd have 5 3TB SAS HDDs and 1 Intel 320 80GB drive in the array. Is it ok to mix SAS + SATA in this arrangement? OI would be installed on the SATA SSD and then would create a 5 disk raid-z2 array all on the same...
  9. S

Or an OCZ revodrive? It's MLC which makes me a bit nervous. Would that work well to throw OI or would I need something a bit more reliable.
  10. S

I just got the server and it looks like there might be a few solutions for finding a drive to install OI & napp-it on without having to dip into a slot on my *hopefully* 6-disk array. There are multiple SATA ports, but no power cords coming from the Power Supplies. I could conceivably break out...
  11. S

Would you consider it reckless to do 5 disk raid-z1 with 3tb sas disks with on-hand cold spare?
  12. S

I actually planned on using a 1GB SATA DOM for the ESXi install, but there's not enough space to put something like Nexenta on it and larger SATA DOMs are quite expensive. I'll look into the PCIe idea, not bad!
  13. S

The two nodes are needed for AD replication. Obviously this system is a bit overkill for just an AD server (48 threads, at least 80gb RAM), and is planned to be used for various office sever needs, IE, share, backup, SFTP, etc. There are talks of virtualizing different office applications or...
  14. S

I don't have the hardware so I don't know if I'll have access to duct taping an sdd somewhere. My biggest concern is how to power it, as it seems like all power is on the backplane which is connected to the SAS2008. I guess it would be possible to pass SAS2008 and then have 1 ssd or small hdd...