Recent content by SmartBugger

1. S

Building 50-100TB NAS/RAID Backup Server for Genomic Lab

i would go with epyc rome cpu with single socket atx-mainboard, with ecc-reg memory, 40gbit network-card, nvme-storage for boot OS, HBA card 12gbps For my use case, I suspect you believe an 8-core (low-end) EPYC ROME CPU with low RAM (8GB) would be sufficient. Is this assumption true? you...
  2. S

Since I haven't mentioned any numbers yet, if you have 10GbE, I would expect a 500GB transfer to take no more than 15 minutes. Is that adequate? Yes, that should be fine. The analysis we do isn't something we interact with in real-time. It's mostly statistical and machine-learning applications...
  3. S

The Storinator is also going to be large and loud, which I presume you don't want as it sounds like you'll be putting this in an office environment. It actually will be a lab, which isn't quiet exactly (There are walk-in fridges, centrifuges, etc.... all things that make noise). What concerned...
  4. S

Thank you BluxFox for your feedback. I am a bit surprise you didn't recommend something like Storinator for a commercial solution. Essentially, that is a product that I've seen around and thought would be the "default" recommendation before making this post. I'm essentially intrigued on why...
  5. S

Hello all! I am researching storage options for 50-100TB of usable storage space for a genomic lab. Essentially, I am trying to get an understanding of best practices and cost to build such a server. Right now, I am in the early stages of investigating solutions, so I can understand the...