Recent content by sleeper404

1. S

Reliable router/firewall with good VLAN and QOS support for home?

That's correct, I'm not a fan of pfSense being a traditional network guy and not a BSD guy their interfaces and way to doing configurations irritated me. OPNsense felt a lot more composed from a config standpoint.
  2. S

What would you recommend I do about a congested network segment?

You nailed it, adding APs won't help on 2.4 due to the lack of non-overlapping channels.
  3. S

MIMO only really helps with large data transfers. I have wyze cameras myself and the video stream to the cloud is constant because it's doing the motion detection server-side and not local to the camera. MIMO won't help you here because it's not a large amount of data, it's tiny bits of data...
  4. S

Integrating Greater than Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 into a 10gig Network?

For $42 I think I would give this SFP+ adapter a shot, people are claiming it negotiates to 2.5/5G. SFP+ Copper Adapter. If you go that route and it works let me know, I've been considering one for my 2.5G AP, but never have a good enough reason to get one.
  5. S

Testing limits of home Ethernet wiring

I imagine the adapter itself negotiates with the switch as an emulated 10G-SR and then negotiates with the downstream device separately at 2.5/5/10G. I could be an issue if you were using these as part of the network infrastructure, but most protocols can handle setting an interface bandwidth...
  6. S

Chelsio T540 and Procurve 6600-48g-4XG - No connection on 10GBe

It looks like those adapters are SR 850mm wavelength so OM3/OM4 multi-mode fiber should work just fine. I'm not an expert on HP switching (or Aruba) but usually they support some sort of command to the effect of "show interface transcievers" which should tell you if it's recognized and...
  7. S

I bought the slightly cheaper 6COM adapters at Amazon, but thinking back I would have tried these instead as they appear to support at least 2.5G as well from the comments section. My arista switch recognizes it as a optics module so it appears to present itself as a 10G-SR to bypass any copper...
  8. S

Chelsio T540 and Procurve 6600-48g-4XG - No connection on 10GBe

With OM4 I'm assuming you're running SR or SR-S 850 wavelength adapters and when they're plugged into your adapter you can hold up a bit of paper and see red light on one side of the port? What's the upstream switch make/model, could be a compatibility issue or config issue on that side. Also...
  9. S

Integrating Greater than Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 into a 10gig Network?

The only real solution for achieving greater than 1Gbps (on a single connection) is to find a docsis 3.1+ modem with a 2.5/5/10G interface. LACP would allow you to aggregate two links, but each individual flow will hash on one or the other, so you'll still only see 1Gbps on a single flow. As...
  10. S

Both 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps multi-gig standards support cat5e so it shouldn't be an issue there at all. I've got a mix of cat5e/cat6 in my home and run a dual 10G adapter in my desktop. I've been too lazy to swap the last jumper out (cat5e) and it's links at 10G (cheap 10G-baseT SFPs) without an...
  11. S

As pretty much everyone above has stated, Cameras on 2.4Ghz and only 3 non-overlapping channels limits the total throughput capacity significantly. You could probably heat-map out which three APs should be the only ones with 2.4Ghz enabled and shut it off on the remaining 4, but the latency...
  12. S

Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Glad you got it all playing nicely. If you're still having issues with the BMC it looks like there's a UEFI utility where you can reset it to factory defaults. Here's a quick thread I found that might have the commands needed (haven't had to do it myself): POPUP
  13. S

So for storcli.efi, I had to have the right version and the controller had to be fully operational before you can flash the expander. The most annoying part is that when running storcli, if the controller wasn't showing up in the BIOS I wasn't able to find anything, period. If it was...
  14. S

After a bit more toiling with the system I managed to finally get an upgraded SAS expander, IT mode SAS3008 controller, BMC and I will attempt BIOS shortly. It took a mix of specific versions of storcli, the broadcom expander firmware package (lots appear to have shipped with the D51PH-1ULH and...
  15. S

3.33 BMC still runs a java KVM so I doubt it'll see any changes there. I would go SAS expander --> BMC --> BIOS, but so far I've just upgraded BMC and bricked my mezz card so take my advice with a big grain of salt.