Recent content by Sielbear

1. S

Hyper-v 2016 + Server 2016 Essentials as VM = lower than expected host CPU used

Thanks for the response, Evan. I was reading similar concerns. This seems to make sense. After doing more testing, I made some changes and rebooted the system. I'm not 100% certain, however, I reduced the amount of RAM assigned to the VM. I essentially followed the guidance in the Hyper-v...
  2. S

Ok - I did a lot more testing on this today. I have an identically configured host system to compare against. I started measuring CPU Wait Time Per Dispatch. On the system that's running great 100% CPU load when tested, I average about 34,000 nanoseconds CPU Wait time per dispatch. On my...
  3. S

I installed the free Hyper-v 2016 server about a month ago into a spare Dell C2100 chassis I had lying around. The original configuration had dual L5530 CPUs - nothing crazy. I installed Server essentials 2016 for a home domain and a plex server. Everything seemed to run ok (I had 16 vCPUs...
  4. S

VM Corrupts RAID array on physical host - Hyper V

Updating this thread... This saga has been continuing for months. The summary: We moved to VMWare - problem continued in the form of PSODs. Dell replaced the entire server - problems continued Since we are in IT, we had other clients who had ordered the same hardware... This problem...
  5. S

C2100 + H700 + WD Red Drives and Backplane Jumper Question

Agreed. Will do that this weekend. Thank you!
  6. S

Ok - I'm making progress. I ordered 5 of these chassis for a project we're looking at. I built up a second one of these boxes with the WD Reds and it seems to be running damn near perfectly! NO CRC errors, etc. I have uncovered a couple of read errors logged that are later reported as...
  7. S

To clarify, these WD reds are 100% sata, not SAS.
  8. S

Sounds good. I'll run scans this weekend. One thing that's sticking out like a sore thumb is the link speed. My understanding is that the h790 and backplane was rated for 6 Gbps on SAS but only 3 Gbps for sata. These WD reds are 6 Gbps drives and I'm showing a negotiated link speed of 6 Gbps...
  9. S

Is that because of the reputation of the disks or the CRC errors? My hope was that the drives were seeing old data that didn't match between the mirrors. The CRC errors were not limited to one drive- it was all over the board. Also, I did upgrade the firmware before running a slow initialize...
  10. S

I'm looking to put together a home media server. I have had significant success with the C2100 chassis and the H200 board, flashed into IT mode for a linux backup server at work. For my home case, I'm looking at running ESXi as the hyper visor and running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials in a...
  11. S

It's been a while since I updated this thread, so I figured I'd close this out. No root cause was ever determined. After 5 failovers and 2 recoverys in 2 weeks, we were out of options. We've been running them on an emergency C6100. We have converted the 2 servers over to ESXi boxes. We...
  12. S

Thanks for all the replies... We are using Dell SAS 10k drives - off the top of my head, I think they are the 600 GB drives. I want to say 10 in a RAID 10 config, so like 2.7 TB usable. We are running on the Dell C6100 currently (just a RAID 1 on SSDs) without incident. Now, it's only been...
  13. S

To clarify, we are seeing event ID: 153, from the source: Disk. This is purely an abstracted, logical warning in Windows. This error was not previously logged in windows. From what I can tell, it only is triggered when the minidriver (hardware driver) encounters an error under the storport...
  14. S

To clarify, the higher-end Dell branded raid cards, which are manufactured by LSI... I realized I could confuse the issue here.
  15. S

For sure- this became our standard install over the past couple of years. Dell chassis, LSI raid card, server 2012 R2. Until now, it's been absolutely rock solid. What I can't do is continue down the path without knowing a root cause from either Dell or Microsoft. Hoping someone here has...