Recent content by Shadowrun78

1. S

EBay - LSI Logic SAS9200-8E 2 X SFF-8088-Ports - NIB - $40

Don't know how much of a good deal this is, but the guy accepts $40 best offer. Probably should have tried $35 first. Figured I'd share just in case this is a good deal. LSI Logic SAS9200-8E 2 X SFF-8088-Ports 8-Ports PCI-E LSI00188 SAS92008E
  2. S

4TB SAS Drives for SA120

Yeah, definitely. I think I might have gone the sledgehammer route though this time. I was originally going to put together a basic nas for my media, but it then progressed from there to wanting to host vm's for a lab/learning and running game servers. Next thing I know boom...sledgehammer...
  3. S

Lenovo ThinkServer SA120 - Rackmount DAS

Well...hopefully not, but hopefully you got good backups just in case ;). Speaking of drives are you running OEM's or Lenovo branded ones?
  4. S

4TB SAS Drives for SA120

Ok. That makes sense. Sometimes I get googly eyes and go a little overboard when it comes to this stuff because of how much I love tinkering around. I mean, when I think about it, did I really need a server and das? I could've gotten by with one of those Synology devices, but now I get to...
  5. S

Sure, may take a moment to dig up the links from my history, but I know on page 2 of this thread, cbiggers had trouble seeing SATA drives until he realized that he had to use the primary controller instead of secondary one. Something about SAS drives operating with 2 channels and SATA drives...
  6. S

4TB SAS Drives for SA120

Most of it is going to be movie/tv files. There will be some document/picture data. It will be a freenas based nas.
  7. S

4TB SAS Drives for SA120

Doh. Basically, I'm getting a Lenovo SA120 DAS and i'm in the planning process of loading it up with drives. I currently have 4 Seagate NAS Sata drives that I picked up when they were on sale. I seen those 2 drives I listed above for a decent price and now I'm trying to decide whether I want...
  8. S

4TB SAS Drives for SA120

Anyone have any experience or opinion on these SAS drives? Hitachi HUS724040ALS640 Enterprise Western Digital RE WD4001FYYG I have 4tb Seagate NAS drives, but if those are much better, I'll use those instead. Just wanted to get a general consensus.
  9. S

I may be jumping on the SA120 bandwagon pretty soon too. Just going through the motion of dotting my t's and crossing my i's atm. I've come into a nice x3250 m5 that I can use with it. With that said, if I've read most of what everyone's placed in this thread correctly, using the SA120 with...
  10. S

Use what I have or build new - Could use some advice

So yeah, unfortunately, FreeNAS is going to be out of the question. Thanks for all the info and tips. Time to look into an alternative or possibly build a new system.
  11. S

Not too familiar with those, will have to check them out. Was really hoping to get this running. Read some really great things about zfs and freenas seemed like it was going to fit the bill with ease of setup and use. The ability to be a nas, serve up plex and a few other apps seemed nice...
  12. S

Yeah. Latest bios installed 2.70/4.20, tried, 9.3, haven't tried 9.2 though. It's my understanding that 9.2 to 9.3, there was a change from mbr to gpt (I may be wrong on this) and that it was now installed on zfs instead of ufs. So 9.2 may work, but then I may be stuck on that version...
  13. S

Yeah, I've gone through changing the Sata mode between AHCI and IDE, still no go. Also, I cannot, for the life of me seem to find in the boot options where I can change from EFI to Legacy mode. I want to say, in this version of the bios, that Lenovo took that option out because I can't find it...
  14. S

Wanted to thank everyone above for the advice and Whitey for the LSI card! I fear I'm going to have to head over to the FreeNas forums though because I've hit a brickwall. I can't get the darn thing to boot after install. I think the Lenovo Bios might be incompatible with the way the boot...
  15. S

EdgeRouter ER-8 $215 obo

If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about it?