Recent content by SGN

1. S

Layer 3 Networking Questions

Layer 3 switches operate on IP addresses. This means that they can route the traffic, like a router. There are multiple scenarios where you could use Layer 3 switches. You use OpenWRT as your router so I guess you make this routing there. You could take advance of L3 switches if you would...
  2. S

Suggestions on next TrueNAS build

I need your help to take final decision about my next TrueNAS build. Right now I use SuperMicro X10SDV-2C-7TP4F with onboard storage SOC, SFP+ and 2x SATA DOM. From functionality perspective it's great. I use it just as a storage host for network storage. No VMs, now jails and no other stuff...
  3. S

EU WTB: Full Height ConnectX-2 single SFP+ bracket

Looking for Full Height Mellanox ConnectX-2 bracket for single SFP+ NIC. Best would be to get it from Europe to avoid expensive shipping, but any option is open.
  4. S

Intel Enterprise SSD's -- S3610 480GB ($89.99) -- S3520 960GB ($159.99)

Are those S3610 better than eg 860 evo for VM storage?
  5. S

What brand of switches for small business use?

First define what does small business mean for you. Those top players gears are expensive and not every SMB can afford to get them.
  6. S

10 Gbe ethernet copper switch with more than 2 ports ?

Can be rack mounted? SFP+ with RJ-45 SFPs is ok? Like this one: MikroTik SFPs are for around 65$ each: MikroTik
  7. S

Goodram IRDM PRO - new MLC based SSD

Toshiba looks nice. Is VM storage more read intense or write intense? Do you see any other competiting drives? Here are the test results for Goodram GOODRAM IRDM PRO 480GB SATA SSD Review | eTeknix
  8. S

Goodram IRDM PRO - new MLC based SSD

I found interesting SSD drive. Parameters are very nice but nothing crazy as SATA drives reached the limits. The most interesting part is that they used MLC chips and Phison S10 controller. It's not the cheapest one (120$ for 480GB). How do you thing. Is it worth to buy it for small ZFS pool for...
  9. S

My little home lab

What kind of workloads do you have? Please put some pics ;)
  10. S

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Have you seen this new 48x1Gb +4xSFP+ FANLESS managed switch from fs.com for 400$? S3900-24F4S 24-Port Gigabit Stackable SFP Managed Switch with 4 Combo SFP and 4 10GE SFP+ Uplinks, 4-Year Warranty | FS.COM Sounds nice. There is also 24p version with 4 SFP+ below 300 bucks! Anyone used fs.com...
  11. S

What to do with single NVMe drive?

One more option in my mind. Maybe i could go with original plan and use NVMe drive in XenServer node and just add some spinner/SATADOM to boot XS. So: add it to XS node or FreeNAS node?
  12. S

What to do with single NVMe drive?

I have one WD NVMe (WDS250G2X0C) 250GB m.2 drive I wanted to use as a local storage in my XenServer node. Supermicro X10SDV has unfortunetly some major problems in handling NVMe as a boot device. I moved to m.2 drive, but with SATA interface without problems. In longer term I want to add one...
  13. S

Migrate Xenserver to VMware - Good idea?

There is still XCP-ng. XenServer fork with all features enabled and tottaly free. It has possibility to move from XS with no down time.
  14. S

Helliconia home rack gets a visual overhaul

What is this hanging white Unify?
  15. S

XenServer Home Lab

4k stream means for me: take a file with 4k resolution and stream it to TV over DLNA or other protocol. Personaly i use Serviio which uses ffmpeg at background. Yes I use C3000 embeded NICs. PfSense will support it from FreeBSD 11.2 but right now there are drivers you can use with current...