Recent content by ServerUser

1. S

Modding/upgrading Arista switches?

Yes, but it was very flakey taking a long time to boot properly. Containers regularly didn't start at boot or would fail so no ports would be available etc. This was about 6-8 weeks ago.
  2. S

Intel XL710-QDA2 - $549

You need the Intel QSFP Configuration Tool:, Linux Version here: Download Intel® QSFP+ Configuration Utility - Linux* - Final Release You can then tell it to run 4x10 -or 2x2x10 - You won't get 8x10GE from it as the XL710 is limited in that regard due to PCI-e x8, so it won't let you chose it.
  3. S

Breakout-cable Friendly NICs for NIC to NIC DAC'ing?

Hardly any NICs support reverse breakout. Check Intel, this doc suggests the 800 Series NICs may well support it: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28933/eng/epct_1_35_62_1.txt
  4. S

ICX6610 40gbe breakout port to 40gbe NIC

Yes, in a fashion, the Intel XL710 will allow you to use a breakout cable to get 4 x 10GE ports and then bond in the OS - but that gives you 4 x SFP+ ports at one end. I haven't tried it with QSFP at both ends to see if you can get 4x10GE over a QSFP. Unfortunately I don't have one to hand at...
  5. S

Xeon Platinum 8124M 18C 3.0GHz $575

In 25 years I've never met anyone that's killed a CPU via handling it, let alone managed it myself handling 100s of CPUs per year. Some years ago I actively tried to kill one with static built up on me, worked for years and years afterwards. It's a pretty rare thing to be honest.