Recent content by sephallen

1. S

Samsung SSD PM1643 3.8TB SAS 12Gb/s MZ-ILT3T8A 2.5" @ $289.98

Ah that is exactly what I have been seeing too - good to know, cheers! As for firmware, it seems some users have been flashing similar drives with NetApp firmware, but I have not been able to find any posts in this thread regarding doing that with a P1633N38. Is it even possible with this drive?
  2. S

Samsung SSD PM1643 3.8TB SAS 12Gb/s MZ-ILT3T8A 2.5" @ $289.98

Was anyone able to update a Samsung branded drive to EQPC? I recently purchased a P1633N38 from eBay running EQP6 with over 45k hours and I am a little concerned - the drive does not seem to like to be trimmed! smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-5.19.17-Unraid] (local build) Copyright...
  3. S

Changing block size IBM branded Micron S650DC-800 SSD

Ah OK, I suppose HUGO won't help me here anyway! It's a shame about the drive, but I will re-sell it on eBay (clearly stating the block size issue of course!). I really appreciate all the advice from yourself and other members on the forum, it has been a fun ride and I have definitely learnt a...
  4. S

I have actually done this a few times, it appears to work and does not report any errors. My Google-fu must be weak as I can't find any reference to download this tool.
  5. S

@Whaaat (apologies for the ping) do you think I am at the end of the road with this drive?
  6. S

I did actually try this under FreeBSD (TrueNAS) previously, though I didn't list it above. Here is the same command under Linux though: I have just tried this now, however the outcome is the same as the previous attempts, for example: again, this attempt was under Linux, though I am happy...
  7. S

The resize looked good, however, I am still unable to change the sector size:
  8. S

perccli can detect the H700, but it fails to show the IBM SAS SSD (I assume this is to be expected considering the drive is not detected in the controller's BIOS either). I did attach another drive to the H700 so I could confirm the commands work. Even though perccli would not display the IBM...
  9. S

@Whaaat bit of an update: The H700 arrived and I put it into my server. However, it is unable to detect the IBM SAS SSD, in PD Mgmt it displays the message "No PD Present". So I tried with an old 200gb SATA HDD and it detects the drive successfully. My next thought was to update the firmware...
  10. S

That's good enough for me! I've ordered one from eBay, it should by Friday. I'll keep you posted and thanks so much for all your efforts so far!
  11. S

I swapped the input file and mode params around, but it made no difference to the output. What are your confidence levels like with using this controller? What would be involved exactly?
  12. S

The Dell PERC controller prices aren't too bad, so I will consider picking one up if the firmware you provided is not workable. Speaking of which, Here are my findings: Defining a chunk size, for example sg_write_buffer -b 4k -I S650DC-FIPS_MB19.bin -m 5 /dev/sdt does remove the Write...
  13. S

Thanks for the heads up! I have contacted the seller to see if he is able to assist me. My HBA (LSI SAS2008) does appear to detect the drive.
  14. S

I recently bought the exact same model IBM SAS SSD (even down to the firmware version) that @Brick purchased last year. However, unlike that auction, the seller here in UK did not state that the drive sector size could be changed. If only I had given it a quick Google and stumbled across this...