Recent content by Scout255

1. S

HP X1600 G2 Storage Server $294 ($245 + $50 shipping)

Netwise, just use something like Montana Shipping Outlet (Montana Shipping Outlet... your resource for professional shipping, receiving, packing and business services!) or other similar border delivery address, then go pick it up. I believe some of them will also mail the item to your Canadian...
  2. S

Dell C6100 Mezzanine 10GbE Cards

Should be interesting to see where the C6220's end up price wise. There is already a C6220 barebones with 4X 10GBE cards installed for $1,699 ( Dell PowerEdge C6220 2U 4X Barebone Nodes with 10GB Cards 2X Power Supplies | eBay ). Subtracting 4 X $250 for the 10gbe cards is ~699 for a barebones...
  3. S

Server 2012 R2, Storage Spaces and Tiering

Didn't realize tiering is disabled in parity mode.... that's very disapointing. Has the performance of parity improved at all with R2 vs 2012? Or are you still limited to 40-50mb/s continuous writes?
  4. S

ZFS Speedtest: napp-it/Nexenta/OI etc

I believe you are mistaken, it is not SMB1/2 for ZFS/iScsi. The option Gea is mentioned is using iScsi to share the ZFS storage to the Windows server, which can then format it to NTFS or other file system and share it to your network via SMB3. Hence, combining both worlds. I believe you would...
  5. S

Site direction and weekend project. Requesting feedback

I would highly recommend that you do not split your audience into two sites. Why not just rename it to serve the home and business or something similar? (i.e. like what piglover suggested) I personally like reading about high end IT gear as well as home server use cases, and I really like the...
  6. S

Any 48 port switches around $4oo recommendations ?.

Have you looked into the Quanta LB4M switches? They are rather cheap on ebay now and have two SFP+ ports as well. HP Brocade Open Source LB4M 48 Port Gigabit Switch Dual SFP 10GB Ports | eBay I have no experience using them however....
  7. S

WD Red 4TB (3.5 in) and 1TB (2.5 in) Introduced

Too bad they didn't add 1.5 or 2 TB 2.5" drives considering they already have those available with their WD Passport drives, those would have been rather interesting. Then again, I suppose that on the consumer side of things SFF isn't very popular at the moment for NAS or internal hard drives...
  8. S

Intel Core i7-4960X Reviews are In

The only real advantage of this over a Xeon E5 is the ability to overclock. It would appear you can take these things to around 4.3-4.5ghz base clock with low end water cooling which is not possible with the Xeon. WIth that said, you do lose the ECC abilities which is a major bummer. Also...
  9. S

SMA Onboard HBA or not - how to decide ?

My response was tailered to the OP's specific use case, yours is signifigantly different. It's really case specific, in certain instances it LGA 1150 is great, in others it is not. If you do not need or care about ram or about PCIe lanes then 1150 is definately the way to go. I would highly...
  10. S

Generally the integrated onboard items are linked to the first CPU socket, with the second CPU's lanes being used only for PCIe slots, however, it is best to be safe than sorry and verify it via the manual (it should have a handy block diagram to look at). Also unless you are in a huge rush to...
  11. S

If you do go with a dual board with a single processor first just make sure you read the manual and know the limitations that this could cause. Some of the PCIe expansion slots will only be useable when you install the second processor (as its 40 lanes / processor, so the lanes for the second...
  12. S

What you really lose with the X10 1150 board VS the X9 2011 board is memory maximum memory capacity (32 GB max VS 256 GB max), maximum number of cores in a processor (4 VS 8), and PCIe 3.0 lanes (16 VS 40). While the x10 board may *appear* to have more expansion, it only has 3 PCIe physical x16...
  13. S

Supermicro H8DCL-iF server build - first timer with servers

For international shipping just email them for a quote. Ebay messes up the quote. Ebay showed $600 for a C6100 when I asked for a quote it was around 120ish to ship to Canada.
  14. S

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

now if only the E5 servers started to come off lease in large batches.... heh.
  15. S

10-Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) Networking - NICs, Switches, etc.

They were selling for around ~1200ish in like new condition. Apparantly that seller still has a few, they are just not on ebay you need to email him.