Recent content by safado

1. S

Recommend a motherboard with dual PCIe 5.0 x16 running at x16

This is exactly the conclusion I was arriving at. I think I’ll just run my GPU and x8 and watch to see what comes on the near horizon. Appreciate the advice.
  2. S

Recommend a motherboard with dual PCIe 5.0 x16 running at x16

I’m upgrading to 100gb with a recent purchase and after running SMF fiber to my office I’m wanting to add a 100gb card (minimum req of 50gb) but finding that my Asus ROG z690 Formula while it has 2x PCIe 5.0 x16 lanes it operates at x8/x8 and the PCIe 4.0 x16 lane operates at x4 Is there any...
  3. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The 6650 however, I'm learning, takes on a whole new meaning for getting console! :D I've had to order several cables (from serial USB to USB mini) and now finally going the USB to DB9 Male --> DB9 female to USB mini. For anyone coming by here, the prior links to ebay from fohdeesha and...
  4. S

Thank you very much!
  5. S

I've ran out of 10gb ports on the 6610 I own so I ordered a 6650 but still require the POE functionality on the 6610 and then realized that the 6610 supports stacking but not MCT and the 6650 supports MCT but no stacking. I'll move my 10gb equipment over to the 6650 but those hosts will still...
  6. S

Cheap switch 200/400GbE today equivalent of Celestica DX010 2 years ago

100gbe for 500? My brocade that I bought due to the awesome thread here is just about full on the 10gb ports. What’s out there that’s 25 or 100 that’s in the 500 price you mention? I must be out of the loop!!
  7. S

Process check for pulling fiber--some questions!

Nope just single cables with LC ends. I expected them to be much thicker but they aren't much more than a typical fiber patch cable honestly (has me a bit worried to be honest). I should have had a pulling eye put on from the factory (fs.com) but wasn't aware of that option when I ordered a...
  8. S

Process check for pulling fiber--some questions!

Hi all-- I've done some very minor pulls in the past and am now looking to run some new 6a and two 135' armored SMF cables. There are 4 existing drops there and it runs through a very clean crawl space and then up to a second floor attic then down an outside wall. The point where it runs up...
  9. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and help educate me. I’m guessing reaching out to the sellers on eBay to confirm stepping is the recommended course of action since they don’t seem to advertise that. Newegg, Amazon and all the usual places. Must have...
  10. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Probably a long shot but I’ll throw this out there to seek the advice of others way smarter than I. I’ve narrowed my choices in motherboard down to a single model based on requirements(matx and others) and it’s the X12SPM that appeals to me the most. Unfortunately this means Gen3 Intel Xeon...
  11. S

Patching Intel X520 EEPROM to unlock all SFP+ transceivers

Can confirm this worked well for me! I bulk did 4 Dell x520’s. Wish I would have had this walkthrough when I did my first like 3-4 months ago. Thank you so much Bomberski!!
  12. S

Needing more 10gb ports on 6610–DAC or MTP approach?

Thank you!! This is extremely helpful. Really appreciate you taking the time to help and offer advice. Thanks!
  13. S

Thank you!! You responded so fast I’m afraid you didn’t see my initial edit and additional info about DAC vs MTP. Will I run into any compatibility issues with DAC across different NICs? Thanks!
  14. S

I screwed that up and posted early. Here’s the context: I have a Brocade 6610 that I’m getting full on the 8x SFP+ ports so I’m thinking of utilizing the QSFP ports on the back for a 4x 10gb breakout. I’ve noticed there are DAC cables like below that seem to have transceivers already attached...
  15. S

What mini-pc to consider? A slightly backwards approach...

Thanks Patrick—found some very helpful reviews of yours and a few posts here and have a 9th Gen HP and an 11th Gen Lenovo on the way. Appreciate the help!!