Recent content by RudeRubbish

1. R

128Gb RAM on Threadripper at 2400 Mhz. Can it be done?

Looks like the 2667 ones are only in 4 or 8 Gb. InsightUK seems to have the same 2400 Mhz models that I am already considering buying.
  2. R

I won't decide on a motherboard until I absolutely have to, but if buying today I'd get an ASRock Taichi x399. I don't think 16GB ECC UDIMM modules are available at faster than 2400 (at least I couldn't find any).
  3. R

Is it single or dual rank? How is stability?
  4. R

Is a Threadripper build with 128GB unbuffered ECC RAM at 2400+ Mhz a realistic goal? Threadripper only takes unbuffered RAM, which really limits my options. here is my problem: I can't do 4x32 Gb sticks because I can't find unregistered ECC 32Gb sticks, much less single rank ones. I could do...
  5. R

Getting ready for a threadripper build, undecided about mobo and RAM

8 slots/4 channels is my understanding. TR supports up to 128 GB, so I think I should be fine. The question is whether upcoming TR motherboards will have anything over the ASR Taichi that is worth waiting on. With DRAM prices so high, I am inclined to wait until at least after back to school season.
  6. R

OK well, it's too bad that I'm limited to 24oo Mhz, but I'll probably populate the 8 slots of whatever motherboard I end up getting with 16Gb UDIMMS for a total of 128GB RAM. Should be OK, right? Re the link: What does it mean in practical terms to "strain" a memory controller? Will it last less...
  7. R

Why do you think registered memory is so critical?
  8. R

I recently purchased a Threadripper 1950X, which I intend to use to run a ZFS-based, multi-headed, multi-OS rig (Probably using Proxmox, but I plan to experiment with FreeNAS+Bhyve and maybe ESXi). However, I am currently undecided about the motherboard and memory. I would really like to use...
  9. R

Help me refine my multi-headed virtualized workstation

Since I'm not going to build for a little while, I expect that the kernel will be updated for Ryzen by then. 16C/3.9 Ghz sounds pretty sweet to me, but of course nothing is final until it's released and I know what the real specs (and the price) are. If striping L2ARC doesn't provide significant...
  10. R

Help me refine my multi-headed virtualized workstation

I want to build One Computer To Rule Them All. I plan to have a multiheaded setup, with one pair of monitors, keyboard + mouse each Windows and Linux, running in VMs. Windows will be used for gaming and graphic art projects, Linux for data science/bioinformatics, so performance is important. I...
  11. R

Three virtualization setups: best performance?

So, the fact that ZFS is part of the kernel for Solaris-derived OSs but not Linux doesn't make any difference to performance or stability? I also think I read somewhere (although I can't find it now) that suggested that the speed benefits of mirroring and striping differ between ZFS implementations.
  12. R

If I did Proxmox, wouldn't it be pretty similar to Ubuntu + KVM + ZFS? My concerns about Proxmox would be the same as with any other Linux.. that the ZFS might not be as refined.
  13. R

I want to use virtualization to separate my tasks into virtual machines, at least one Windows and one Linux. I like the idea of using ZFS to maximize IOPS of my VMs. I also like the idea of using ZFS through a Solaris derivative, on the theory that it will offer the best ZFS experience. I'd use...
  14. R

Planning a multiseat, virtualized workstation

My understanding though that Citirix Xendesktop is meant to be deployed over a network. Because I want to be free to do gaming, I'd rather have everything plugged into the same box using normal video connections.