Recent content by ru me

1. R

New Micron 7400 PRO 7.68TB NVMe U.3 (7mm) Non-SED Enterprise SSD - $349

I was able to buy two this time, but I have missed out on really good deals before. But I think the great deal section is a good resource the way it is now. Some people mentioned that they do not post deals anymore and I think that is maybe the least disruptive way to prevent perceived abuse. My...
  2. R

Engenius ECW230 (Wifi6 4x4 AP) - $125

No bricks or plaster, just typical stick build. My RF environment is probably pretty busy with too many devices but even 2.4 had trouble getting through more than one wall. I always had to use two or more APs to get reliable coverage, so maybe it’s the layout of the house.
  3. R

I bought three and I was able to register two without problems. The third showed as already registered but the seller said it was not visible to him. Maybe registered to a test account or a bug on Engenius’ side. Engenius needed email confirmation from the seller to reset the registration...
  4. R

In the FCC document I found for example 2.4 GHz Ruckus 673mW vs 334mW for Engenius. That may be the maximal possible hardware output and may well be restricted by regulations and firmware. However, I stand by my observation. It is possible that Ruckus achieves superior performance by superior...
  5. R

I got the registration issue resolved after the previous owner confirmed the sale to engenius. I replaced 2x Ruckus R610 and 1x R720 with 3x Engenius. To my disappointment I noticed coverage problems even with 2.4 GHz. Coverage improved after increasing the transmit power but it was still...
  6. R

Engenius will only help if the previous owner gives them the go ahead. I am working on that, but hurdles to reuse are clearly a downside of the cloud management. For ease of use I am mostly OK with cloud management but this makes me think about installing the stand alone firmware.
  7. R

I got an ECW230 which was already registered to a different owner/network. Reset does nothing. Is there any trick to deregister? I will contact Engenius and see what they say. Anybody knows whether flashing the EWS357 firmware will make it forget?
  8. R

EXPIRED Precision 7820 Tower, dual Silver 4110, 32gb, 1tb ssd, P600 $349 shipped

What do you know. It seems to be the processor. I swapped in the second processor and it works with 6 channels. The processor with only two channels working has a faint scratch on the lga pads, could be the cause. For the record, these 32gb are Micron, Dell part number TN78Y. Thanks for nudging...
  9. R

EXPIRED Precision 7820 Tower, dual Silver 4110, 32gb, 1tb ssd, P600 $349 shipped

What memory is confirmed working? Upgraded the processors to 2x6126 and even the original memory does not work in a four channel configuration. I thought 2666v would work and it does work but only in a 2 channel per processor configuration. I have the same problem with 32gb 2666v sticks which...
  10. R

E5-2696 v4 22core CPU for $150 or less

Most of the time old Dell, HP or Lenovo towers are stable and you get the whole setup with case, fans and power supply for little money. Of course the EPYC system sounds like more fun..
  11. R

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

I had some trouble with a corrupted/ messed up EMCC. In my case, I was able to install Windows using my other box and then swap in the drive. It preferentially boots from this drive now. I have had no need to touch the EMCC, not sure whether I should just erase it now.
  12. R

refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7050 Desktops starting at $115

No, but you get a 4x PCIE instead of 1x. Also 4 DIMM slots instead of two. Between the ebay motherboard pictures and the manuals it is usually possible to figure out the details.
  13. R

refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7050 Desktops starting at $115

These Pentium are OK for what they are. They feel tolerable but slow in Win10 if that's what you are running. Considering that i3 8100 and 9100 do not command much of a premium I would wait for those to go on sale. I also think for used machines the 30xx models are too stripped down. The 70xx...
  14. R

Dell Optiplex 3000 Thin Client

I was able to mount a usb c port for an optiplex sff model. Cable length is not quite right but it fits without too much strain. This gives usb c 5 gig or video out. Dell 7060 7070 7080 MT SFF USB-C type C R9J4K 8XP85 WRMH0 Daughterboard card | eBay Seller accepted $18 each for two quickly...
  15. R

Dell OptiPlex 3000 Thin Client Pentium® Silver N6005 QC 8GB DDR4 256GB $200 shipped

Got an offer for cad 10 off just for looking at the listing. The seller has 80 units and maybe open to offers for larger quantities.