Recent content by Rttg

1. R

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

It is indeed SFP (i.e., 1GB) not SFP+ (10GB).
  2. R

EXPIRED Am_Lightning Deal_TEROW 2.5G Ethernet Switch, Unmanaged 9-Port POE+ Switch, 8 x 2.5G Base-T & 1 x 10G SFP

It may not *technically* be a lie, but these things aren’t 802.3at compatible… I ordered a replacement switch after reporting the original as defective (hoping it may have been an issue with the first switch), but the replacement works exactly the same as the first. Sharing the extra...
  3. R

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Thanks for reporting on that @dxx-223 Has anyone seen any intel on PCH bifurcation / lane configuration? I’m wondering if it’s possible to get an Optane H10 working on these…
  4. R

12gen N-series Nas motherboard (topton, cwwk, ... )

FTFY - since PCIe is duplex, just like ethernet.
  5. R

Asymmetric routing with pfsense and L3 switch

I’ll add another big endorsement of VyOS. It’s Debian with a switch-like config interface, which is great if you don’t like maintaining individual config files across a Linux installation. Despite the CLI, VyOS hides *very* little, if anything, that would otherwise justify working directly...
  6. R

Searching for a small SFP+ and PoE+ Switch for my shed - 250ft fiber run

Not OP but I’ve picked up a few at this point around that price on eBay. Sometimes you get lucky…
  7. R

HP Z640 Headless Boot??

I wonder if this would work on the Zx40 series (it did on my Z420): https://reddit.com/r/homelab/s/0OhsBOtiDI
  8. R

Mellanox cards that can support 40gb

It’s more likely they’re stuck in VPI/IB mode (I’ve had to manually switch mine over to ethernet mode). I haven’t had any transceiver compatibility issues with the Mellanox card itself, but it’s also possible that your Ubiquiti switch is picky
  9. R

Vimin VM-S250402 4-port 2.5GbE and 2-port 10GbE Switch Review

@Patrick have y’all tested the UART on those cheap switches? I’m wondering if management may be possible via the (very clearly) labeled RX/TX pins just above the heatsink.
  10. R

Quantum FC LTO5 Drive - $26 Used Untested

Yeaah, I didn’t know if the enclosure worked like a single drive shelf, adapting the drive interface. I did see the FC - makes things somewhat less appealing…
  11. R

Quantum FC LTO5 Drive - $26 Used Untested

If you shuck it, what’s the drive interface, SAS?
  12. R

PCI passthrough to bhyve on SmartOS

Did you get the right overlay files added to your USB boot drive? I’m no longer using pcie passthrough after an initial test a while back but remember that being a part of the effort.
  13. R

10GBe NICs suggestions

Yeah, I’m not so sure that prior information is right. QSFP+/28 uses four channels to reach 40/100Gbps, but plain old SFP+ is 10Gbps at the link layer. Only slight wrinkle is if you’re running iperf3, you might need more than one stream (using the ```-P``` option) to saturate the link, given...
  14. R

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by wanting to “put the L3 magic on”, but you’d typically want to pick a single L3 router rather than using multiple routers. A managed L2 PoE switch would let you configure VLANs on that device downstream of your 7250. You could also use an unmanaged PoE switch...
  15. R

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Only other box worth considering might be the Lenovo M920x which can take 2 M.2 SSDs on the bottom of the board and a 2.5” SSD/HD on top (or swap out the top 2.5” drive for a PCIE card if you get the riser).