Recent content by rayt

1. R

Help me build a VMware home lab

Would a single or dual e5 with das be an effective choice?. I have an Asus z9pa system boots ubuntu and I run kvm or virtualbox machines on with vm storage on a pike raid5 das It works well for me as I can assign. As much resources an CPU power as I like. I tried to migrate to the free version...
  2. R

Raid Migration Question for the experts

To further add to the question asked above, I'll give the following hypothetical example of the problem: lets say in 2 years time either my raid fails or I outgrow the storage capacity and so I wish to replace and add a 750GB disk. But the 750 has been removed from the market and so, ther are...
  3. R

A bit of downtime today

FYI Looks like the Signature policy has changed, since the reboot
  4. R

Raid Migration Question for the experts

Question: In large NAS/DAS deployments how does the system administrator deal with migration & hardware obsolescence? I know some members here are running large data arrays and the traditional method of backing up, removing old hardware, installing new hardware then restoring the data does...
  5. R

WTB 2X xeon ES-26xx & RAM

On Supermicro multiprocessor motherboards, must all CPUs have the same revision code? This thread can save me lots of money if i can mix a C2 production E5-2687w with and ES c0 or c1 revision. Or I sell my single C2 and buy 2 C1s, and possibly make a profit on the trade.;)
  6. R

Introducing the STHbench.sh benchmark script

I am very happy with my system, its been a worthwhile upgrade. Initially I had teething problems with the the system setup as many of the supermicro features were new to me. :rolleyes: Its easy to brick a server board with the wrong settings and then be forced into research to find out how to...
  7. R

Introducing the STHbench.sh benchmark script

I have download and run your test script on my main workstation. Will members be able to upload their test results so that systems can be compared and tweeked? thanks in advance R
  8. R

Renderfarmer's WS

I respect your answer very much. I'm on the fence to as cuda rendering as I find the gtx670 is unstable and quality is variable. I have a quadro K4000 on order which *may be* more stable. And so, for now, I render only with cores. ( hence the e5-2687w build). Yet, test reports like this...
  9. R

Renderfarmer's WS

Wow Nice System there Renderfarm question: Why did you choose core count over iGPU for rendering? Nvidea/AMD are really pushing CUDA/openCL cloud farms for deployments like yours. My 1st post. Eventually I want to grow my system into a multiuser Video production farm. Hence my interest.