Recent content by randman

1. R

Netgear MS510TX - SFP+ Help

I have two of these switches. Each switch has, connected to its SFP+ port, a Windows 10 Pro PC with a Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10GbE SFP+ NIC. On one PC, I used a 3.0 meter SFP+ DAC. On the other PC, I needed a longer cable, and I wanted to play with a fiber optic patch cable (plus, I like how...
  2. R

Router hardware configuration with LTE & WiFi

Have you looked into Peplink's Pepwave routers? They support Wi-Fi As WAN, WAN via Ethernet cable (e.g. using cable modem), and/or LTE. Their routers can be configured to failover amongst these connectivity options. I use one of their routers with an LTE SIM card to back up my cable modem. I...
  3. R

SSD errors on HPE MicroServer Gen10+

Well, HPE sent me an HPE 240GB SSD (an "officially" supported SSD - it's the model mentioned in the HPE MicroServer Gen10+'s QuickSpecs document). Well, same problem as before (Lost access errors with VMWare). So far, I still have an open ticket against HPE on this, but not much movement on...
  4. R

Switches that support 10Gb over cat. 5e cables

The Zyxel has 10 GbE ports, while the Netgear only has 2 GbE ports (plus a combination of 2.5, 5, and 1 GbE ports). I prefer the Zyxel, but it's also more expensive than the Netgear. So, which one to get depends on your needs.
  5. R

Home office WAN Aggregation/Bonding Options

I saw this thread discussion at poplin's forum regarding throughput: Router Throughput
  6. R

TBH , I was also wondering exactly what they mean by throughput in their specs since the numbers are low for people with Gigabit WANs, unless you go up to more expensive models. In my case, I use a Peplink with a 4G LTE SIM card as backup to another (1GbE) router with cable modem. So, the...
  7. R

I've been really happy with Peplink in terms of their software and reliability. My use case is a little bit different than yours. I have a dual WAN router. I use a cable modem for my primary WAN and 4G LTE for my secondary WAN. For my secondary WAN, I use a Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini, which takes a...
  8. R

Switches that support 10Gb over cat. 5e cables

I have a CAT 5e outdoor rated cable, the majority of which is wired on the outside of the home (long story, but for the particular room that it was going to, there was no way to route the cable indoors). This cable was 127'. I was extremely surprised that my ZyXEL XS1930-10 and Netgear MS510TX...
  9. R

10 GB switch - questions

I spent about $800 for the WS-C2960L-24PQ-LL. The C1000-24P-4X-L, which is the follow-on switch, cost close to $1700, so more than twice the price. I quickly compared the two switches, and I didn't see any significant differences relevant to me, other than the C2960L was near EOL and less than...
  10. R

10 GB switch - questions

I wound up getting the Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960L-24PQ-LL. This allowed me to also get rid of a couple of 8-port POE+ switches and repurpose them in other rooms. The Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960L-24PQ-LL was only $100 more than the C2960L-24TQ-LL, so it was an easy decision for me. The Catalyst C1000...
  11. R

10 GB switch - questions

The QSW-M408-4C is also interesting. The data sheet doesn’t say anything about how loud the fans are. What’s your experience with the QSW-M408-2C?
  12. R

Any considerations on a multi-gigabit (1, 2.5, 5, 10) switch?

ZyXEL came out with a new firmware for this switch (XS1930-10) about 5 days ago. It's the first firmware update available since the switch was released. It has one fix. Per release notes: ""Optimization on intermittent fan speed operation."" I'm happy to report that this firmware update...
  13. R

Netgear GS110EMX Review A Managed GS110MX Switch

I bought the Netgear MS510TX multi-gigabit switch (the "funky" switch) as well as the Netgear GS110EMX switch. I was interested in the GS110EMX switch since it is fanless and I plan on using it in a bedroom, and since it has 10 RJ45 ports (1 more than the MS510TX) and I didn't need an SFP+ port...
  14. R

New Home Build Wiring Recommendations 2020 Edition

am45931472 - Good choice on cabling! Nearly 20 years ago, when I first added drops to my home, the decision was CAT 5 or CAT 5e. There was no advantage of 5e at the time, but now, I'm glad I got 5e. Then, I added many more drops later and the decision was CAT 5e or CAT 6. I went for CAT 6, when...
  15. R

SSD errors on HPE MicroServer Gen10+

I don’t see much Samsung PM863 availability online, and would prefer not getting a used one. I see more PM883, and wondering if that would work well.