Recent content by Rand__

1. R

ZIL question

With sync activated your spinner pool will drop significantly in performance. Its fine to test with the same parameters as you did for your 800MB/s value, just to see the difference. For non Optane drive its not recommended to split a drive into l2arc and ZIL
  2. R

ZIL question

Wow, they've become cheap
  3. R

Replacing SM SC836 Power Distribution Module

Nah not sure, but sometimes things (backplane for example) are also screwed on to the bottom. The screws are reachable from the inside, not from the actual bottom, just hidden behind cables sometimes. Can't access mine atm, so no clue and can't remember from the last time I replaced a PDB. But...
  4. R

Replacing SM SC836 Power Distribution Module

Checked top, side and bottom (inside) ? Sometimes they are hard to see with all the cables
  5. R

Recommendations for 56Gb switch

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/mellanox-sx6036-36ports-qsfp-%E2%82%AC150.24158/post-279540
  6. R

Supermicro SC846 rail kit part # ?

no, the mounting holes (square 2 pair vs 3 pair) are on the server side...
  7. R

Proxmox - ZFS Disk Failure vs Smartctl Report

You could run badblocks on it (non destructive if you dont have a spare/no option to evacuate the data). If its always the same then maybe swap drives to see if it moves with it?
  8. R

EU FS:HGST 4U60 Gen 1 & matching drives (6TB HGST SAS3)

No, didnt have any except my Seagates which probably would only run on the 2.1 FW which i didnt run on my primary box
  9. R

Well I did a lot of edits while checking the differences. I think 2 vs 3 might be the major issue (whereas getting the 3 hole version might be more compatible then the 2 hole one (check your server though), also it might that the 14 contains some handles for the desktop to rack conversion of the...
  10. R

Edit 3 https://shop.delwi-itr.de/netzwerk-server/server/zubehoer/1859/supermicro-rack-mount-kit-x7dbe/x6dhe-rechts-und-links-01-sc83614-xx00c003-mcp-290-00014-00 They might only send to Germany/EU, let me know if you need help with that. Also, it seems they have 3 square mounting holes (to fit...
  11. R

UnRAID/FreeNAS as ESXi Storage?

Have not used Unraid, but from what I know Very simple with UnRaid, potentially not so simple with FreeNas/Napp-It (replacement/extension per vdev) Check for both easy for UnRaid, depends on the HW for FN/Napp-IT No idea re UnRaid, kind of for FN/Napp-IT (a part of memory is used for...
  12. R

NVME vs SAS - real world 'homelab' findings

So i had typed up that lengthy reply below before re-reading your initial question seeing you are primarily concerned about cpu utilization. I left it in because it seemed a waste to delete it, maybe its interesting despite being unfinished (ie no numbers etc). Regarding your primary concern of...
  13. R

I think the only kind of revisions was G1/G2 on the HW side and o/c the firmware versions
  14. R

HW or sw? Not sure how to identfy HW if thats what your asking? Probably would be able to find it in a sys info dump somewhere