Rand__'s Recent Activity

1. Rand__ replied to the thread ZeusRAM - anyone know of a cheaper cable option for dual SAS?.

GENUINE DELL PRECISION MINI SAS TO DUAL SAS CABLE T3600 T5600 T3F4V 0T3F4V 721541348412 | eBay

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM
  2. Rand__ replied to the thread Web interface not working on additional vmkernel on different subnet.

80 gets redirected to 443 nowadays, so make sure that one is reachable too;)

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:13 PM
  3. Rand__ replied to the thread PMC PCA-00364-03-C NVRAM accelerator.

I have some NV1616 results posted here: SLOG benchmarking and finding the best SLOG, they should be comparable to the 1608. There are...

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:01 AM
  4. Rand__ replied to the thread QUEST: zfs, zvol, kvm settings/tuning (to fix SLOW VM sync-access).

So I have no clue whatsoever of KVM, so please excuse me if my suggestion is totally useless, but if there is the slightest chance that...

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:01 PM
  5. Rand__ replied to the thread ESXi or FreeNAS GPU passthrough for deep learning?.

Quoting an iX blog (Six Metrics for Measuring ZFS Pool Performance Part 2 - iXsystems, Inc. - Enterprise Storage & Servers): N-wide...

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:50 PM
  6. Rand__ replied to the thread ESXi or FreeNAS GPU passthrough for deep learning?.

Everything is possible :D But a single HUSML might be underpowered for multiple VMs. Ok, I have to concede that my performance...

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:37 PM
  7. Rand__ replied to the thread ESXi or FreeNAS GPU passthrough for deep learning?.

I have no clue if a Z2 pool with 4 disks works, but this is not going to be a good layout for VMs as you basically get 1 disks worth of...

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:57 AM
  8. Rand__ replied to the thread ESXi or FreeNAS GPU passthrough for deep learning?.

That looks like a 4 disk pool ?;)

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:16 AM
  9. Rand__ replied to the thread ESXi or FreeNAS GPU passthrough for deep learning?.

-Gpu passthrough of non quadro cards to ESXi VMs might prove a challenge - make sure you read up on that before committing -Raid Z2 of a...

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:09 AM
  10. Rand__ replied to the thread Path to learn more about storage?.

Probably CompTia (CompTIA Storage+ Part 1: Storage Fundamentals) It might be a starting point, you will at least understand the basics....

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:55 AM
  11. Rand__ replied to the thread Do you have to use a cache tier with vSAN?.

That might work if you can set these up at device or bios level - but thats going to need hardware thats capable of it which might...

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:28 AM
  12. Rand__ replied to the thread Do you have to use a cache tier with vSAN?.

I don't think that will work as vSan wants to use the whole disk - it won't accept pre-partitioned disks. Also bear in mind that with...

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:42 AM
  13. Rand__ replied to the thread [Maybe a deal?] MicroSemi NV-1616 DRAM+Flash drives ($295 OBO).

I think you have a misconception here - using a cache drive for whatever OS is not working like a SSHD or consumer optane cache drive....

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:06 AM