Recent content by Quartermaster

1. Quartermaster

Dell Poweredge R240 - Barebones w/ Xeon E-2124 - $180

Reading the manual here Dell EMC PowerEdge R240 Installation and Service Manual | Dell Canada and other R240 docs on the Dell site will help you with many of your questions Correct, it does not. Found out the hard way :)
  2. Quartermaster

They're designed for low cost, ROBO type operations where cost is the significant driver (hence no dual PSU, amongst things). If you want more you step up to the R340 for a second power supply and additional PCIe slot, or R440 for more BOSS-style boot options A M.2 BOSS card is an option, IIRC...
  3. Quartermaster

Ahh!! They're hot swap. AWESOME! I wish I bought a few more. Caddies for the non-hot swap model are nearly impossible to find. Many thanks for the photos! For my fleet of R240s, I have usually swapped out the PERC H330 for a 10G NIC, and then putting an Intel P4610 1.6TB NVMe SSD into the other...
  4. Quartermaster

Can anyone share some clear 'top down' photos of the internals? (showing drive area, if there is a backplane or not, cables used etc). I ordered mine shipped direct to my colo rack and won't get to them for a little while, but I'd like to order whatever parts I need now.
  5. Quartermaster

An offer of $120/ea was accepted. YMMV.
  6. Quartermaster

They can be converted to the standard non-OEM BIOS - Google for guides :) I have ~20 R240s with 942V6 X520 NICs in them, all work fine. The Dell R240 update ISO detects them and performs Intel NIC firmware updates fine.
  7. Quartermaster

Firmware package for Samsung SM883/MZ7KH3T8HALS

Awesome work, thanks for sharing! Do you have access to the PM863 (non "a") firmware? It is not compatible with the PM863a firmware.
  8. Quartermaster

Where to Buy ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T?

I just received this eBay notification: ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T AM4 PGA 1331/ AMD Premium X570/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.1/ | eBay
  9. Quartermaster

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Thanks! This is a great option, it's a lot cheaper than the Dell 5080/5090. The PCIe should also be a lot more stable than something like the WiFi -> PCIe M.2 adapter. It looks like the generation before of that series (M910x) also supports 2x M.2 SSDs and is even cheaper (though, harder to find).
  10. Quartermaster

I don't think these boxes support bifurcation that is needed for most dual M.2 NVMe cards that don't have a multiplexing chip. Good idea about shucking the SSD to squeeze it in. Electronically, EMI might be an issue but some kapton tape should prevent short circuits. It's possible, a little...
  11. Quartermaster

Thanks, I've clarified my post that this needs to be a micro sized box. SSD speeds on a 1G up-link may be wasteful to you, but the density, power and reliability benefits are all bonuses for me :)
  12. Quartermaster

I'm looking at throwing a TinyMiniMicro style box in a location where performance isn't key, but size is restricted to a micro size box that will sit on a 1U shelf (needs to be self contained, on external HDDs, and will be with other devices). Idle/overall power needs to be as low as possible...
  13. Quartermaster

Does anyone know of a low horsepower TMM style box that has Intel NICs? Installing a PCIe NIC is a bit overkill, but not totally out of the question if the TMM box cost isn't too much higher. For my desired use case, cost is super important, whereas CPU performance is not: AMD GX-4xx embedded...
  14. Quartermaster

4TB PCIe SSD $150 - Good deal or waste of money? Manufacturer: RazorBack?

This is an end to end custom design (hardware, firmware, drivers) built by a hyperscaler to meet their needs (read: not industry standards). You likely won't get it working well (or at all) without some reverse engineering.