Recent content by Philip Brink

1. P

NVMe to U.2 PCIe4x4 adapter tested

As promised. Used above devices with an Asus ProCreator x670e. I have 20cm cables and got some interesting results. 20cm on the furthest NVMe slot was sketchy. Worked very well for the first few GB on a transfer, then usage would spike to 100% and not drop, then transfers would stop...
  2. P

NVMe to U.2 PCIe4x4 adapter tested

For those looking for options for PCIe4 U.2 connection (seems like most everything is pcie3). I am using NVMe and PCIe slots for U.2 drives and had a hard time finding things that would support PCIe4 speeds. So, thought I would help out a bit. I wanted to use the PCIe slot to U.2 adapter for...
  3. P

Mellanox ConnectX-3 help

I use a 3 meter 40gb copper DAC from FS.com and am very happy with it. When you select the DAC, there will be a pulldown option for programming the ends to Mellanox. Pretty quick turn around on the order including shipping to Canada, great support team who will check in to make sure...
  4. P

U.2 sustained bandwidth question

Thank you. That is about what I was thinking as well. Without having one to test and articles basically skipping the topic, I wanted to make sure I wasn't making wild assumptions while reading 'sustained'.
  5. P

U.2 sustained bandwidth question

Consumer nvme typically runs at stated 'up to' speeds on read/write until cache runs out. U.2 drives are advertised with 'sustained' speeds. So, the newbie question I can't seem to find an answer for is: Do U.2 drives display the same behavior as consumer drives and drop to a lower bandwidth...
  6. P

Mellanox ConnectX-3 40gb running at half bandwidth

perhaps I should up the queue length values? I have them at default still. tx = 2048 and rx = 4096. Will have to play with that and linux over the weekend.
  7. P

@Bjorn Smith, it is a direct connection. I don't have a 40gb switch to play with unfortunately.
  8. P

moved the card from the server to a second windows desktop. ran ntttcp and got roughly 25.6 gbs. PS C:\Users\Phil\Desktop> .\ntttcp.exe -r -m 8,*,192.168.2.11 -t 20 Copyright Version 5.39 Network activity progressing... Thread Time(s) Throughput(KB/s) Avg B / Compl ====== =======...
  9. P

iperf results with 6 threads: root@VMStore:~# iperf -c 192.168.2.11 -P 6 ------------------------------------------------------------ Client connecting to 192.168.2.11, TCP port 5001 TCP window size: 325 KByte (default) ------------------------------------------------------------ [ 4] local...
  10. P

tried to get ntttcp-for-linux functional on proxmox. Currently cant get a connection between windows and proxmox, but can create a connection between two powershells on windows and it hits 51gbs. windows version 5.39 linux version 1.4 windows to windowsVM gets about 11gbs, so inline with...
  11. P

So, I got bit by the 40gb bug while looking for more bandwidth between my proxmox server and desktop. Nice thing is the cards are working and the DAC is working just fine and connection has been fun to play with, but limited in bandwidth (currently stuck at 25.5gbs). Server: proxmox 6.x, AMD...
  12. P

Are there any members who are experts on Electrickery

Im pretty sure power is turned off to the molex plugs, but a simple check volt meter would make it certain. Im away from my system for the weekend. If the voltage drops, then the relay should switch off, assuming it turns on when power is applied. I cant remember for certain, but i think there...
  13. P

Are there any members who are experts on Electrickery

An atx power supply only needs to have a connection between two pins on the 24 pin motherboard connector to turn the psu on. The psu will supply the signal. An easy option to chain two psus is a relay. Use the power from a spare molex connector to switch on a relay between the two pins on the...
  14. P

An insane idea for temperature control

Perhaps a simple solution is reducing the noise and leaving it place. Depending on the equipment, fans could be exchanged, noise dampening, higher u sizes to increase fan diameter, lower noise psu, etc. If the server count is low, it may be a cheaper option and easier to manage. I have...
  15. P

Epyc vs Threadripper for homeserver & NAS

It may be worth waiting a month to determine how the threadripper 3000 series turns out. There are rumors of HEDT and workstation versions. The workstation versions seem to be Epyc-like with 8 channel ram, high pci counts, etc. May not be the option for your situation, but it would drop...