Recent content by petree77

1. P

Nvidia Quietly Discontinues Spectrum Switches?

In searching around Nvidia's site, I did come across this page that has a spreadsheet at the bottom: https://network.nvidia.com/support/eol/
  2. P

Seek suggestions for server room set up

I don't think I saw a response above, but you do need to be worried about Air Conditioning for that room. While you said it has its own dedicated thermostat and return air duct, does the AC in the building run during the winter? Most large building can't provide both AC and Heating at the same...
  3. P

Cheap 10GBE FCoE networking + FC interconnect switch?

FCoE doesn't require any special switches, it's sole requirement is lossless ethernet. This means larger buffers and Flow Control are required on any switch you connect FCoE devices to. If all of your devices are straight FCoE then nothing special is required except for lossless ethernet. If...
  4. P

Aruba VLAN/routing help!

Did you declare routes on your firewall back to the aruba for vlans 98 and 99?
  5. P

Best place to buy Mikrotik S+RJ10?

I bought 4 about 3 weeks ago from ISP Supplies, but it looks like they're out of stock at the moment.
  6. P

New Dell EMC PowerVault ME4 SMB Storage Array

Does anyone know what the basis for this technology is? ie, is this an SC based product, something from EMC's product line up, or back to using Engenio (NetApps) technology like they've traditionally used for the PowerVault line?
  7. P

futureproofing house wiring... CAT8 or..?

If you're doing it, probably the "correct" thing to do is to pick the standard today and run that in some conduit, but run "inner conduit" with pull strings so that if something changes tomorrow you can pull whatever is then current and start using that. If you're running conduit anyway...
  8. P

Our new Quanta Switches

Just how loud are the switches, specifically the T3048-LY8?
  9. P

Encrypted Drives - Does anyone have benchmarks for these?

If you're talking about Self Encrypting Drives (SEDs), we use the 3TB and 4TB NL-SAS drives at work. The performance is no different then the non-sed variants. If you're talking about software encryption, it really depends upon what method you're using.
  10. P

Infiniband Setup for ESXi and Cabling

For the record, even without the cutouts the mezzanine cards may work. None of my 4 nodes have the cutouts, but with a little work with the dremel, all 4 work fine with the mezzanine cards. YMMV.
  11. P

Difference between Mikrotik routers

You should go with the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN, the CRS125 is designated as primarily being for a Layer 2 (ethernet only) device. Mikrotik themselves will tell you that its a layer 2 switch first and everything else second. The RB2011 has a 600MHz processor and the CRS125 has a 400MHz processor.
  12. P

Networking options

If your dataset is larger files and not millions of small files (for the case of this exercise, small file are anything under 50MB) you can make this work, if its millions of smaller files you're going to spend all your time seeking and it will kill your speed. All of the rest assumes you have...