Recent content by pete22

1. P

40G Network Setup Advice Needed

will be used to access a render cache and since the files are very high resolution and we need real time playback we need more than 10G...
  2. P

I tried to read up on it, but not found a single good resource that explains all the differences and details (like the stuff with the encoding and the transceivers that I learned here) and why I would prefer one over the other... so, since I need 40G (or at least way more than 10G), is there an...
  3. P

target OS will be Windows 10. Regarding "EN or IB", could u elaborate on that ? Is that Ethernet or Infiniband ? (I thought Infiniband was simply a specific ethernet standard) I need the transfer speed of 40G, but I've never installed or used 40G. I'm not sure what the difference is in real...
  4. P

very informative, thank you everybody. So maybe if I can keep distance below 10m I can simply start off with 2 x 40G cards + 1 DAC.... any other suggestion for a 40G card other than the Mellanox MCX353A-FCBT ?
  5. P

ok, are u saying that when using passive qsfp+ dac cables, one does not need a transceiver and directly plugs the dac into the network card ? "but active cables and optical transcceivers (also count as active "cables") can cause problems" what does this relate to and how do we avoid the...
  6. P

oh wow, interesting. So, do the transceivers always have to be programmed for the specific card in use ? Or am I misunderstanding this and I don't need transceivers for point-to-point ? Thanks.
  7. P

Hi everybody, I need to setup a 40G network, I am connecting a single workstation with a server. As of right now, I only need point-to-point between these two machines. Distance is app. 15m. Been reading up on 40G required hardware, but am a little bit confused, so I have some questions -...