Recent content by Perry

1. P

Migrating Windows Striped array to an HBU?

We are upgrading one of our workstations, which was built many years ago. New motherboard, CPU, etc. But we need to hang onto the data that's on the cache array, which consists of 8x 4TB SATA drives, software striped in windows disk manager. While this raid never holds stuff long term, it's got...
  2. P

Optimal RAID setup for older Dell R515/PERC H700/SAS Drives

Maybe. But I don't really put too much stock in benchmarks. In our day to day we use Windows and Mac built-in file copying tools so that's really all we care about - that we get enough speed using the tools we use on a daily basis. Benchmarking can be interesting and certainly useful in some...
  3. P

huh? What does that have to do with any of this testing? for what it’s worth I’m not only well aware of this, but we have the SAN structured specifically to avoid this situation. Rarely is one person accessing a given RAID at the same time as someone else. all testing I have done above was on...
  4. P

I was able to briefly test these two volumes today. With the 512k strip formatted with a 512k Allocation unit size, I get decent results when writing a 30GB Quicktime file to the volume (about 1GB/S for the first half, then about 750 for the rest). That's probably due to caching. The source...
  5. P

Well, have had more than double the performance in our homegrown setup for a few years now. The motherboard and controller card in the system I built are from the same era as the Dells - around 2014. The drives are newer and larger, but are consumer-grade 8TB 5400RPM WD Reds (shucked from...
  6. P

The background initialization on the array finished overnight, so I was able to do more testing this morning. Speed is an order of magnitude better, but still too slow. With Write Back and caching enabled, I'm able to get about 350MB/s writes (according to the Windows 10 file copy progress)...
  7. P

Thanks. We are a service, scanning and restoring film. We're not storing anything long term, things are on our machines for a few weeks then cleared off when the job is done and delivered to the clients but some stuff lingers for months, so volatile setups like RAID 0 are out except in specific...
  8. P

Background: We are a film scanning and restoration service working primarily with archival film. We've been using a homegrown RAID with SATA drives for years as the RAID pool for our TigerStore SAN. I recently acquired eight Dell R515 servers from a friend's company that was decommissioning...
  9. P

Freenas for nearline backup of san?

No. TigerStore serves volumes over the 40Gb network (or fiber if we had a fiber channel network which we don’t) to Macs, windows and Linux workstations and servers, each seeing the mounted shares as if they were native disks. Permissions and locking are at the file level so it allows us to share...
  10. P

When initially talking about this with my friend who provided the hardware, I was envisioning a single massive bucket with a directory for each folder on the SAN, and using rsync or something similar via cron to just sweep all the volumes and update them every day or two.
  11. P

I mean, that to me seems like the least important part of this! We're not a multi-user environment that's really pounding on the SAN daily. We tend to work on 2-3 projects at once, and there are three people in the office - two of them might be working on the SAN at once, but usually it's just...
  12. P

A little background first: We are a small film restoration studio, typically dealing with files that are large. Very large. Either 250GB+ Quicktime files, or huge sets of image sequences (think 30MB/file x 130,000 for a single feature length film). Our current setup is a homegrown 250TB SAN...
  13. P

Weird slowdowns - what could be the cause?

Yes, unfortunately, you weren't being very helpful so I mean, why even bother replying? No, you misunderstand. The SAN has 6 pools of 10 disks, each of which is capable of doing more than 2GB/sec, on cheap disks. We have an office with typically 3 people in it at a time at most, usually two or...
  14. P

I have a 9240-8i card that I had tried to run FreeNAS on a few years ago. Hated FreeNAS and we built a SAN running on RAID 6 pools with different RAID controllers. So there are two of these on a shelf. One isn't recognized by the system, not sure why. The other is, and I just re-flashed from IT...
  15. P

With the old LSI in the previous system it was definitely a cooling issue. The new machine has more airflow, both intake and exhaust fans (in a roomy Fractal Design case, with fan intake from the bottom, passive vents from the front, and exhaust fans at the top and back. The LSI might be ok in...