Recent content by penrhos

1. P

How to make the most of a 1.15Gbps (Gig1) Virgin Media ISP

I seem to be having the same issue with the Hub4 as I did with the Hub3 - If I run it in Modem mode the TP-Link M3's have a fit and can't access the internet if the Cisco 2960X is also plugged in. so at the moment I'm running the hub4 in Router mode with WiFi switched off and the TP-Link M3's in...
  2. P

Currently port 1 on the hub feeds the tp-link which all my WiFi kit connects to. Port 2 uplinks to the 2960X so all my hard wired kit (homelab & office) connect to the 2906X at 1Gbe. The 10gbe port means I can backup my nas and media centre at 10Gbe (although the disks max out at 550). With...
  3. P

My Gig1 is due to be installed tomorrow - currently I have the Hub3 running in router mode (but with Wi-Fi, DHCP etc disabled as I couldn't get it stable in Modem mode) this is feeding into a Cisco 2960X and a TP-Link M3 mesh. I have a CRS305 hanging off the 10Gb SFP+ port on the 2960X which...
  4. P

APC SMT1500 UPS fails to power devices after power cut, bad battery?

Just make sure you run regular self-tests to check if the batteries are OK and you'll be fine. Once you start to see a significant drop in runtime it's time to replace them. As for the Capacitors - we have multiple UPS's across site from 1Kva all the way up to 450KVa 3-phase - we replace all...
  5. P

QNAP VIOSTOR - repurposing?

To cut a long story short - It had got damaged in transit and ended up going back to the seller... However I did find out a few things that might be of interest to people... 1) Swapping the dom out for a standard usb-header dom works fine. 2) It'll run TrueNas, FreeNas, OMV no problems -...
  6. P

Well it arrived this morning and once it'd warmed up a bit (as it was covered in condensation what I unboxed it) I took a look inside.... Motherboard is a TS-1279U V1.5, it has 4Gb ram in a single stick with one empty slot. 2 X pcie 8x slots so it looks like a re-badged TS-879-RP with custom...
  7. P

Eaton's are pretty good - we're getting 3-5 years out of a set of batteries (depending on how warm the units get). I did consider modding my APC to reduce the charging voltage, but 1) I got it for free, 2) I can get the batteries for it at trade prices, 3) I don't want to risk opening it up...
  8. P

Those APC 1500's kill the batteries every 3 years or so.Mines on it's 3rd set. You'll need to factor in replacing them before then for your running costs.
  9. P

C7000 estimated power consumption for a specific setup

We're running 40 x C7000 chassis all full of Gen7/8/9 BL460C's and once the initial startup is done and the blades are up and running most chassis are showing around 2.5Kw draw. They're not quiet and you'll need 6 x C19/20 power leads (so officially 6 x 16A commando sockets to power them or two...
  10. P

Anyone had any experience with QNAP VIOSTOR kit? They look like normal QNAP NAS's but with a CCTV software installed instead of the NAS one - I've looked on the QNAP forums but it looks like discussions on converting between VIOSTOR & QNAP NAS is forbidden. I've picked up a cheap VioStor...
  11. P

Xyratex HS-1235T (AKA IBM XIV Gen3) + some bit of EMC Isilon = home backup server?

Too loud for regular home use, my homelab is in the garage so it's not too bad. the fans are loud - the biggest issue is the fans in the PSU's are so loud even with the server on standby. I did think of replacing them with nocturna's but I only backed up my two QNAP's onto it once a week so I...
  12. P

Will a HP FlexFabric dual 10gig card work in a normal pci-e slot?

As a side question - anyone know if the 530FLR LOM will work OK in a DL380 Gen9 or do I need to buy a 560FLR and leave the 530 in my old Gen8 DL360? Also are they SFP+ locked or can I get away with any old SFP? - I know Cisco DAC cables work fine as that's what I'm linking my QNAP-670 pro to...
  13. P

SuperMicro H8DGU-F BIOS password reset

Mines fully working with stock bios, IPMI, dual processors, 128Gb of ram, 8 * 300Gb 15K SAS drives in Raid-10 and an IBM 5015 dual port SAS controller (LSI 9260-8i), 10Gbe network card - but it's soo loud, the fans are real screamers. But it was 90% free so can't complain too much. FYI the LCD...
  14. P

Any server rack experts here? Need help.

I got a second set of ears and mounted them on the rear of the switch - then used some fencing wire to hang the rear of the switch so it wouldn't sag - only really feasible if you can access the sides of the rack though. I've used the sliding rails you get with Netscalers/nexus kit in the past...
  15. P

Xyratex HS-1235T (AKA IBM XIV Gen3) + some bit of EMC Isilon = home backup server?

All being well the network should look like this....