Recent content by Ozymand

1. O

(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

Thank you for sharing this, arglebargle! As soon as I sort out a chassis issue (the chassis appears to be out-of-square and thus the displayport and usb ports are not aligning with the case and thus making the ports unusable) I'll see how it'll sort out. Thank you, once again!
  2. O

(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

I had not realized it could redirect a management interface through the Realtek; the original intention was to bring over my Chromebook with USB-Serial dongle and serial in using Secure Shell for management. Now that's something else I'll need to look into for administration. Thanks! I'd...
  3. O

I'd be interested. I'm currently setting one up as a pfSense router and populating one of the serial ports (knocking out one of the blanks) so I can console in if I need to troubleshoot.
  4. O

Performance hit for Intel systems on the way...

And now we're getting official confirmation. Intel is running a press conference and here is the slide deck: https://s21.q4cdn.com/600692695/files/doc_presentations/2018/Side-Channel-Analysis-Security.pdf ... and Google just published this blog post: Google Online Security Blog: Today's CPU...
  5. O

From what I've seen you can command-line bypass the changes in Linux if you're using a AMD processor, I just don't know if Microsoft is going to be so amenable. We can probably dodge the initial patch (if truth be told, this coming Tuesday), but imagine at some point there will be some mandatory...
  6. O

Unfortunately for AMD, they're probably going to get thrown under the bus with Intel as most OS providers appear to take any x86-64 platform and consider it unsecure. AMD has been lobbying for Linux to put in an exception for them, but it has not been accepted. As for Microsoft, I figure...
  7. O

SFF and 8x2.5" hot swap bays - SilverStone CS280

I've attached some rough concepts of a case that I've been working on intermittently but modified with some insight from cesmith9999. The case itself is 10 inches on a side, uses a TFX power supply (my reference supply was a FSP FSP400-60FGGBA), has 3x5.25" bays (for a total of twelve 15mm 2.5"...
  8. O

It comes down to one thing that seems to be an issue with most if not all SFF chassis: poor airflow across the motherboard. If you look at the SuperMicro SuperServer or the S-35 chassis there is little to no airflow across the motherboard. Depending on configuration (read - Xeon-D in this case)...
  9. O

For the life of me I don't know how I missed this. With the announcement on the 5TB 2.5" drives from Seagate I restarted my search for a small chassis that supported 2.5" hot swap drives. After some searching (and potentially resigning myself to doing a custom chassis since there weren't very...
  10. O

Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

After feedback from pgh5278 my original idea would not work for mounting a fan to the Cooljag BUF-E, so I'm proposing this: This should slide right over the top of a Cooljag BUF-E. The dimensions extend out of the heatsink by 5mm the sides, and however far the fan does on the front/back. It...
  11. O

Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

I don't have access to a Supermicro Xeon-D nor a 3D printer, but I wanted to suggest this as this might be a possible relevant solution. But first, a few questions about the BUF-E. Are the screws captive in the heatsink? If so, can the retainer used to keep the screws be removed such thus the...
  12. O

Small tech tray for IKEA's Helmer cabinet (low cost renderfarm/cluster)

I wonder if you could vertically mount some 5.25" to 3.5" hot-swap bays to get your ease of mount. Using a mITX or uATX you could fit the motherboard in-front of the power supply and that'd could give you a lot of space up top to mount multiple converters.
  13. O

Small mini-itx case ?

Another option, one that Patrick once asked about is the SilverStone CS-01HS. 6x2.5" HS with mITX support (vertical alignment, might be good for airflow). It is spendy though. SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- CS01-HS Edit: Ooops, missed that you're looking for picoPSU. The CS-01HS is SFX form...
  14. O

Intel S1400FP2 LGA1356 UP Motherboard 160$

With this motherboard, are you folks using UDIMM or RDIMMs? I know both have been validated by Intel (in certain combinations per the technical document) but wondering if there is any benefit of going one way or another (other than cost).