Recent content by Ouroboros

1. O

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

Looks like Highpoint has a nice dual blower double wide host card for 8xM.2, but unfortunately currently only their NVMe RAID model currently (not clear if you can set it to pure passthru). They do usually make a basic AIC version of their models eventually, so maybe wait for that. Highpoint...
  2. O

Quad NVMe Drive Cage like this (ICY DOCK) one?

A possible OcuLink cable solution specifically for the IcyDock OCulink SFF-8611 Straight Male to SFF-8643 Cable
  3. O

Connecting quad-port Supermicro NVMe HBA to IcyDock mobile rack NVMe backplane?

So MicroSATAcables.com now seem to have the necessary cable to pull off connecting an OcuLink NVMe HBA to the IcyDock cage, for the Intel card at least. OCulink SFF-8611 Straight Male to SFF-8643 Cable I am ordering some cables for the Intel card, so I will try to see if the supermicro card...
  4. O

Supermicro AOC-SLG3-8E2P Octaport NVMe HBA

A sorta update MicroSATAcables.com is now making an OcuLink to SFF-8643 "legacy" type cable for use between that Intel card and the IcyDock cage. OCulink SFF-8611 Straight Male to SFF-8643 Cable When I get a chance, I will attempt to use that with the Supermicro card after testing with the...
  5. O

Intel NVMe/SAS3 2U Disk Enclosure w/ Oculink interface + SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-4E2P

A minor update for folks who may be interested. I just received word that my custom cable order to connect an Intel AXXP3SWX08080 card to an IcyDock MB699VP-B has been changed to a normal catalog cable type order, so the cables can now be purchased by anyone. First is a convenience adapter...
  6. O

PCIe adapter riser card (low profile x16 to full height x8)?

I ultimately ordered some custom risers from a man well recommended on the HardOCP forums. C_Payne: PCB Design & Prototypes Mine had additional secondary power via a SATA power cable to cover x16 power edge cases (though I am probably overthinking it, but there had been reports of x16 to x8 or...
  7. O

Intel NVMe/SAS3 2U Disk Enclosure w/ Oculink interface + SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-4E2P

A bit of an update, I finally got the IcyDock MB699VP-B and some cables and a u.2 drive installed on my test rig. Directly connecting the U.2 drive to the Intel AXXP3SWX08080 card with a DiLinker SFF-8611 to SFF-8639 works as expected, so the card and the U.2 drive are known good...
  8. O

I got one of these via ebay (they've started showing up there recently), but I'm unable to boot at all with it plugged into the x16 slot in a test system (Fujitsu Primergy TX100 S3), which only has PCIe 2.0 slots. Just get a single beep every 2 seconds with no post codes. Tried using the cut...
  9. O

There has been some discussion in another thread regarding using IcyDock 5.25 bay quad NVMe docks, as they use a "legacy" SFF-8643 pinout that may not play well with some cards. There was an intel AOC octoport card that apparently was not happy, though that used a PMC Sierra PCIe switch...
  10. O

The IcyDock cage being problematic may indicate it may need one of those "blessed" trimode cables in OCulink format, perhaps such as the Supermicro one https://www.amazon.com/OCULINK-V-1-0-SOURCE-TO/dp/B077BVPJGG Supermicro's 8x OCulink AOC card manual specifically says to make sure you get...
  11. O

U.2 to quad M.2 carrier (2.5 inch form factor)?

Bingo, there's a Liquid product called the Element LQD3250 PCIe U.2 SSD Liqid Inc. — The Leaders in Composable Infrastructure The hardware looks exactly the same as the DCU1000, including the USB monitoring port and the shell, just the label logo badge is different. They describe it as 8TB U.2...
  12. O

I just want to confirm here, that you were unable to get the Intel AIC AXXP3SWX08080 to work with a SFF-8211 OCulink to SFF-8643 MiniSAS HD cable, particularly to connect to the IcyDock MB699VP-B? Did IcyDock support get back to you regarding why (legacy signaling?) The cable you mentioned...
  13. O

U.2 to quad M.2 carrier (2.5 inch form factor)?

Kingston briefly was touting their DCU1000, which looks suspiciously similar, prior to it disappearing from their product lineup... The Anandtech article shows the PCB which might provide clues as to the source OEM... Kingston at CES 2018: A 6.4 TB U.2 Enterprise SSD with Four M.2 Behind a PEX...
  14. O

Is this only 2 PCIe switches deep then? Also, have you ever found right angle OCulink to U.2 cables to fit to the intel PCIe switch card? Supermicro does now have a 8 OCulink card in x16 half height flavor (AOC-SLG3-8E2P) but getting one seems difficult...
  15. O

PCIe adapter riser card (low profile x16 to full height x8)?

Recently fishing around at oddball stuff, and noticed while there are many servers with full height x8 PCIe slots, there really doesn't seem to be proper low profile PCIe card adapters that behave as a PCIe pass through riser with lane reduction. The closest things I found so far is Startech's...